1.8 Petrol Mondeo 2004

ger1983

Trying to sell my Mondeo in Waterford but will make major loss due to engine size not sure would I be better off keeping it or selling for half noting at the moment the petrol and tax are costing me arm and leg. And had to put two new tyres on the car today. I would love to swap for smaller car but don't think anyone would go for that deal. Anyone have this problem before?

It's worth 1500-2 grand.On that kind of budget for a small economical car which are in demand),you wouldn't get much of a car.

I bought it for over 4000 in January with a trade in paid out 3500.

I know must have being mad. At present would be lucky to get 2000 back.

I find the car heavy on petrol and will struggle to pay the tax in January around 600euro.

So may as well just cut my losses.

Trying to sell my Mondeo in Waterford but will make major loss due to engine size not sure would I be better off keeping it or selling for half noting at the moment the petrol and tax are costing me arm and leg. And had to put two new tyres on the car today. I would love to swap for smaller car but don't think anyone would go for that deal. Anyone have this problem before?

What are you considering changing too. For example if you were to drop to a 1.4 petrol focus you would save under five euro per week on tax and would get similar MPG. If you do most of your driving around town it might be acceptable but if you do long journeys and motorway driving I dont think the savings are enough to sacrifice the comfort of the mondeo. On the tyres all cars will need tyres replaced.

There are two separate issues really:

1. The OP is sensitive to tax, so really should be driving something of 1.4 and under. Ideally maybe 1.0 or under - but if motorway miles are done then that may not be possible.

2. Mondeo's depreciate. A lot. I noticed this myself when looking at cars recently, demand for 'big' cars just isn't what it used to be.

Only you can decide what to do, OP. Try to get things down on a list as to what the plues and minuses are. If the tax is going to force you to struggle then perhaps getting rid of the car is the best option, at whatever price you can get. You could try and swap, there may be someone out there looking for a bigger car.

Really though, your best option may be to go for an older, smaller car with a more frugal engine. It will be a downgrade, but needs must.

It's scary to think I sold a 2000 Yaris recently for €2,100.

Really though, your best option may be to go for an older, smaller car with a more frugal engine. It will be a downgrade, but needs must.
Is it really a downgrade? I think you get used to whatever it is you drive.

A couple of years back, I had a 1.8L petrol Mondeo. Had it for a month - and found it a bit sluggish and was truly exaspirated by the fuel spend. I very quickly put it back on the market - getting the same money back for it as I had paid for it.

Driving a 1.4 TDCi ford now - and happy out - as it runs on fumes and is much lower on tax.

Back