1.6 or 1.4 costs

laila

Am looking for a second hand medium budget car with air con. Am strongly considering a 1.6 Ford Fusion 3. I know there is a tax and insurance difference between the 1.6 and 1.4 but does a 1.6 have higher running costs? I am also told that a 1.6 would be harder to sell than a 1.4 in the future - is there any truth in this?

Any other recommendations for a medium size car with air con would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I am driven demented trying to make up my mind!

I wouldn't buy a Fusion if I was you.

They are a jacked up Fiesta essentially and have been poor sellers. Reckoned to be overpriced by the market.

Test drive a 1.6 Zetec model Focus hatchback. Abs & a/c as standard. A much better drive, bigger, and will resell easily in 1.6 litre form.

Costs wise fuel consumption will be much the same on the 1.6 if driven with restraint. The 1.4 is underpowered and needs to be canned a bit. Tax and insurance are higher, but not much. There's a world of difference between 80bhp and 100bhp in performance terms. Overtaking is much easier with the 1.6.

Back