0766 numbers are premium rate lines and not covered by most contracts!¬

Discussion in 'Consumer Issues and Rights' started by mathepac, Aug 1, 2017.

1. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

I got my eir phone bill and a shock at the same time.

I was under the distinct impression that area-code 076 numbers were ordinary landlines, just not geography specific - in other words the location you're calling could be in Leitrim or Limerick, Donegal or Dublin, but the charges were included in most plans as "calls to Irish landlines". Thanks to Adam & Aoife at eir I was informed that this is not the case.

If the number is 0766, it is outside most bundles and is chargeable as a premium rate number. If the 076 is followed by any digit other than 6, it is just a regular non-geo specific landline and the call will be free, depending on your specific plan.

0766 - be warned, I don't ever remember being warned that these were premium rate lines, like 1890, 1850, etc.

2. thedaddyman

thedaddyman Frequent Poster

RedOnion likes this.
  3. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

The information contained in that link is incorrect. Both eir and tescomobile, my current and previous providers, treat 076 numbers as ordinary Irish landlines, but NOT 0766 numbers.

4. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

I don't believe that's correct? The prefix is '076', so I don't see how they would distinguish based on another digit.
    The Tesco mobile price plan allows charge for all 076 numbers.
    Eir inclusive bundles exclude all 'non-geographic' numbers. I believe Eir don't charge personal customers for calls to 076 VoIP numbers allocated to their own broadband customers.

5. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
    My facts are backed up by my old Tescomobile statements, my current and last month's detailed eir statements, my conversations with Aoife last week, also confirmed by Adam today.

Following your flawed logic, it would also be impossible to distinguish between 1850, 1890 and 1800 numbers, but as we know it is perfectly possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  6. RichInSpirit

RichInSpirit Frequent Poster

Thanks Mathepac for highlighting this practice, I was just checking my phone for any of these 0766 numbers and my Bank of Ireland bank manager has one of them.
    It's incredibly sneaky of Bank of Ireland.

mathepac likes this.
  7. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Mathepac

How much are you being charged for them?

Are they premium numbers or just numbers not covered by most of the packages?

It seems from this http://www.saynoto1890.com/2016/02/what_are_076_numbers/

that they cost from 5c. to 50c. per minute.

And they are widely used

• Money Advice & Budgeting Service
      • MABS Helpline 0761072000
    • Insolvency Service of Ireland
      • Information and General Enquiries 0761064200
      • Case Management Division 0761064200
      • Bankruptcy Division 0761064232
      • Regulation Division 0761064234
    • Citizens Information
      • Phone Service 0761074000
      • Website Team 0761079000
    • Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI)
      • SUSI Support Desk 0761087874

Brendan

8. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Attached is my current (July & Aug) eir bill. Loads of stuff redacted sorry for the patchy appearance but I've left detail for the 0766 numbers and the 0761's which are included in my package, or free if you like.

According to my contacts in eir, the owner of the 0766 number can apparently charge what they like, one person mentioned as much as €2.50/minute. I haven't seen charges like that but I wasn't aware of the 0766 charge until today. Thanks again to eir customer services, very helpful and well informed.

I've been billed a total of €8.71 inc VAT on the sly and I confirm that the 0766 numbers are all various parts of BoI. I haven't worked out the per minute cost yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ztx4o70augzal0/eir detail 2017.pdf?dl=0

9. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Are there charges clocked up on the 0766? It may not just be BoI, they're probably all at it, although for my AIB contacts I have emails and regular landline numbers.

10. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    It looks like 0.38/0.40 per minute, so not cheap for calling 0766 numbers.

Correction:- €0.30 per minute or part thereof.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  11. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

Enough of the scare mongering. It's not a premium number, but a charge imposed by phone providers.

From your bill, it's 30c per minute, exactly as per Eir price plan, for all VoIP calls:
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt12.2.pdf

My understanding is that Tesco no longer include 076 in bundles (because they realised they could charge for them).

Comreg have a price ceiling in ALL 076 calls.