07 Passat or Mondeo

cullenswood

Hi,

I am in the market for a 07 Diesel and was wondering what peoples opinions are. I have narrowed it down to a Mondeo Hatchback or Passat Saloon.

What are peoples opinions on either? They are both coming up at in or around the same price.

Thanks

I dorve a 1.6 petrol Passat 2007 and was disappointed, disregarding the engine, it just wasn't the improvement I expected after putting up 100,000 on each of a 2001 and 2004 Passat.... and I couldn't fault those cars!!

You should definately test drive both

Passat I think is a nicer car all round VW would bs more
Appealing than a Ford , Just my thoughts

Regards , Dee

2.0 Passats are very nice. Why go for a hatchback Mondeo though, why have you ruled out their saloon? The higher spec ones (Zetec) perform really well.

I saw a 08 passat 1.9 tdi bluemotion in Lisburn for €13k (+VRT of about 4k) and you would get the cheap car tax

Yeah, saw the 08's for that price but its a little out of my budget. (Also the 08 Mondeo is much nicer than the 08 Passat!). I reckon I could get a 07 of either for around 12k. The reason I was going for the hatchback was for boot size, plus I don't really like the shape of the Mondeo saloon.

In my experience, it's probably better to take the next step up and buy the newer shaped car, (if you choose the Mondeo). Any percieved discount now will be multiplied when you go to sell the car again if you plan to change after another two or three years.

In my experience, it's probably better to take the next step up and buy the newer shaped car, (if you choose the Mondeo). Any percieved discount now will be multiplied when you go to sell the car again if you plan to change after another two or three years.

That is one of my chief concerns re the Mondeo. The model I have my eye on seems in great condition and I had intended on keeping it for 5 or 6 years so was thinking it wouldn't be worth that much at that stage anyway, but nor would a 5 year old 08 new model. The plus re the Passat is that there is no new model out but boot is smaller and it doesn't have some of the extras the Mondeo in question has. Am I being silly by edging towards the old model Mondeo

You're not being silly verging towards the mondeo....
If you read every car review ...in Top gear, what car, fifth gear etc, they'll all state that the Mondeo is a much better car all round in terms of driving experience and practicality. Also check out the reliability index in these cars...can be found on 'what car' website.
I guess what you might struggle with may be you're own snobberishness towards the Ford badge...no doubt people hold VW in higher regard and that's one reason why residuals are better with VW. its a tough choice

Image/badge aside, the Mondeo is a much better driver's car - if that's important. It will probably be cheaper to run and service also. I think it looks better myself too.

VW servicing is a complete rip off.

Ford servicing is perhaps the cheapest (in comparion that is)

Yip, Mondeo all the way.

Job permitting, this will be my next in the summer

having a Passat ( well the wife was ) i can only say what i believe about it and it is all that we want.

Its a 1.9 highline and an 07. Only problem we had was when the passanger door wouldn't open one day.....but it did the next !!!

Big thumbs up and go for the upgraded Bose sound system if ya can....oh yeah:cool:

have an 07 Passat (NI import) and like it, as I did the '03.

I think Passat diesels have a great name and even if the Mondeo is a jazzier drive (I cant say). I'm inclined to think the reliability on a Passat would stand to you if looking to hold it for 5 years. New or old model shapes wont mean much if you do actually hold it that long. Plus on an older car the reliability perception is probably a bigger selling point.

Back