'04 Ford Focus plane-like noise, possibly suspension?

shesells

I have an '04 Focus with about 50k on the clock. Only issue I've had so far is had to replace the engine coils earlier this year.

Turning left into our estate tonight I heard a noise when I braked like a low flying plane overhead. As we live close enough to the airport I wasn't totally sure so I braked again coming up to park and I heard the noise again and felt a slight grating. Parked up and the only thing I noticed was that the suspension seems to be significantly lower on the rear driver side.

Car was handling fine until then...thought maybe I'd driven over something but can't see anything.

Really worried that this is going to cost me a fortune :( Any thoughts?

Could it be brake pads?

When they're badly worn you get a horrible grating sound.

Pads....and discs...an expensive enough morning but it could have been so much worse!

Be sure to ask to hold on to the old ones. It is rare for your discs to have gone so soon unless you have been driving for a while with depleted pads.

Brake pads tend to have a sensor in them that when they wear down beyond a certain point a light comes on on your display. Have you seen anything with a red light that looks a bit like (O) ?

probably a broken suspension coil spring. Plane noise would be caused by tyre rubbing of inside of wheel arch during braking.

Didn't ask for the discs but in fairness...I have been going to this place for years and it's the same guy on the desk. I have priced some of the work on this and other cars in other places and where I took it was the best by far.

No light came on in the dash and there were no issues that I noticed with the brakes...sometimes they'd squeak a little when it was very wet..but rarely.

Might sign myself up for a car maintenance course in the autumn so I don't get caught again!

Back