03 Car for trade in not accepted

star32

Upgrading to a 2014 car and have been told twice so far 03 car not taken as trade in. It's a skoda octavia 100,000 miles on it. Wasn't expecting much but was still hoping to trade. Was told it was an insurance thing as most insurance companies don't quote cars older then 10 years. Now these were small garages - will I have same problem in bigger car garages.

It's 15 years with some companies,but that would still make the car not at all attractive as a trade in.
If it's the petrol,(guessing based on the mileage),it's worth about a grand based on done deal.However the cars on there have been on sale for an average of a month,so maybe less.

A lot of the bigger garages will take an '03 car, but they'll effectively give you nothing for it. You'd get a better deal if you could offload it yourself, even for very small money, and go shopping as a cash buyer.

The bigger garages will just send a car of that age straight to the auction houses, and they'll know well how little they'll get for it there.

It might be worth your while exploring if a new car might be an option where certain manufacturers offer a scrappage deal on your old car. I know Nissan and Hyundai offer €4000 for a traded-in car as 'scrappage'. Your cost to change might not be too much different if this is taken into account. What type of 2014 car were you looking at?

Similar cars go on UK sites for less then £500. To be honest, a car like that is more of a nuisance and a smaller dealer will struggle to get rid of it. Dealers at the minute will be trying to offload 161 regs so you might be able to get some kind of a deal for one like that

It might be worth your while exploring if a new car might be an option where certain manufacturers offer a scrappage deal on your old car. I know Nissan and Hyundai offer €4000 for a traded-in car as 'scrappage'. Your cost to change might not be too much different if this is taken into account. What type of 2014 car were you looking at?

This was my experience last November, I got €3K trade in for my 15 year old banger off a new car (€24K on the road list price) for delivery in Jan 16. I would not have got anything remotely near this against a similar secondhand model.

My invoice states trade in €250 and discount €2,750

Several told me they would pass my car straight on to a small dealer for €250, the other €2,750 I would guess is made up of new car list prices been inflated to justify the high prices of secondnand models, and I believe manufacturers part fund these scrappage type deals for new year sales.

All the big names should be offering their 171 deals soon, certainly worth investigating how much a 2017 would cost in January, compared to a 2014 now, I agree, the difference might not be as much as you would think, in this price bracket anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. Since my post two of the bigger garages were willing to trade in for €1000 off the retail price. The cars I'm looking at are Hyundai i40 and Mazda 3. I did look at the Hyundai Scrappage deal but still a little bit for than i budgeted for even with the deal.

Nissan are doing the scrappage deal.

Keep shopping around.

Maybe hold out for a scrappage deal from some of the other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the replies. Since my post two of the bigger garages were willing to trade in for €1000 off the retail price.

Get someone else to inquire about the cash price for those cars, chances are they'll get ~€1000 discount as well. If so you could look to sell your car privately.

Back