01 petrol Golf losing power

RMCF

Got a problem with an 01 1.4 petrol Golf.

It has had an orange warning light on the dash for the last couple of weeks. Had it hooked up to 2 different computers in 2 different garages and was told that nothing significant showing up. Oxygen sensor low was 1 diagnosis, other was nothing.

Last week I noticed that the clutch slipped a couple of times as well.

Over the last week the EPC light came on the odd time the power seemed to die, meaning the car had to be coasted into the side of the road for a minute. The engine was still running but no power. It then started again.

Anybody know what the hell's up? If I got the clutch done would it sort it out or could it be something else. Would hate to spend money on new clutch (was quoted £450-500) and find that it doesn't sort out the problem.

sorry meant to say clutch slipping

sounds like the clutch is a seperate issue,, is it a cable cluctch, maybe could be adjusted

i have a 00 golf as well and i get the same problem. sometimes i feel like its going to die on me for no reason. im gonna get it serviced and see if they come up with anything. ill let you no

Had a similar problem with my 00 Rover 25 (I know I know!) a year ago and it was something called a Lambda sensor I think it was. From what I remember it monitored the amount of fuel required and was faulty. Just a guess but you never know.

Thanks for all the replies.

Getting checked over again by the mechanic who said that his computer was showing "oxygen level low" last week.

Will see if he finds anything new today.

I had a similar problem with a 1.2 Astra. Computer said lamba sensor which was replaced but didn't fix it. Turned out it was the air input valve (or similar), which didn't show up on the diagnostics. I believe with the problem it was equally likely to be either. Basically the engine was starved of oxgen. (By the way the main dealer was the only one who could diagnose the problem, everyone else kept saying lambda sensor)..

We have similar problem now with a 02 VW Golf 1.4 Petrol.

The EPC light comes on and the car loses power . If we switch off and re-start , it solves the problem .

If RMCF sees this post , we would like to know what solved the problem on his 01 VW Golf

As said above , the diagnostics may show up a lambda sensor and it could be an oxygen problem .

Could prove costly going to main dealers , just to diagnose the problem.

Anyone here know best way forward ?

Back