01-442 9818 - Revenue Scam

Discussion in 'Is this a scam?' started by WizardDr, 6 Dec 2018.

1. WizardDr

WizardDr Frequent Poster

What is different about this one is that it is a Dublin number.

You get a call from this number and a message is left if you don't answer.

If you dial the number - a DUBLIN number
    - it gets answered and appears to be rerouted
    - they claim they are Irish Revenue.

ComReg claim they can do nothing

Any suggestions?

Three Ireland (Hutchison/Telefonica/O2 are apparently the number provider.

2. WaterWater

WaterWater Frequent Poster

Yet another useless bunch. Maybe they should merge with the CCPC, buy a big shiny building down in the docklands and spend the taxpayers money.

3. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

@WizardDr did they ring you or send you an email with the number?

4. cmalone

cmalone Frequent Poster

Son got call from this a few days ago .., they wanted to process a €500 tax refund from Revenue - after getting his debit card number - expiry - credit limit , etc. needless to say he gave the incorrect card number !

Can these numbers not be automatically blocked when reported to authorities to save the population at large ?

5. WizardDr

WizardDr Frequent Poster

@mathepac Called me on mobile. Didn't take call. Message was about Revenue ..prosecution .. so I called the number back and then they got into refund mode. Had it been the usual non local number I would have ignored it.
    ComReg opined that they had no power - and I said its a Dublin number - so Irish provider blah blah and they just excused themselves.

@cmalone - what I though ComReg could do was issue a block on that number to the provider (as in they provide service to that number) instead of each separate telco blocking the one number etc.

Seems ComReg say nothing to do with them.

6. joer

joer Frequent Poster

I received a text message last week from "Revenue" to say that I had a tax refund , just click on the link to activate. Needless to say I did not click. It looked like a Dublin number except there were one or two more numbers . So the scams are coming in lots of ways.