0% interest rate credit card

zxcvbnm

I have an AIB visa credit card debt of €8k.

Obviously I am paying interest on this each month.

Are there some credit cards out there whereby you get 0% for a number of months or something like that?
Or a balance transfer free for a number of months or something?

If so, are there any 'catches' once the 0% interest period is over?

Is there any reason that I am not aware of why I should not transfer credit cards?

Ulster bank do a nine month 0% balance transfer, altho they do state that they can refuse to transfer the balance

Most banks offer a credit card with 0% interest for a few months when you transfer to them. The main concern I would have is what the rate will go up to once the 'honeymoon' period is over. It's worth visiting a few bank websites and finding all the details, and then make your comparisons.

Another thing to try is to look at the credit cards on offer with your current bank. I was able to transfer my (rather large) balance to a card with a lower rate in my own bank, and had a period of 6 months with 2.9% APR on the balance, and a low rate for purchases (I think it was about 14% APR, which was considerably lower than what I had previously been paying)

Last edited:
Most banks offer a credit card with 0% interest for a few months when you transfer to them. The main concern I would have is what the rate will go up to once the 'honeymoon' period is over. It's worth visiting a few bank websites and finding all the details, and then make your comparisons.

Better still look at the credit card section under " Cost Comparisons " in itsyourmoney to see what is available. Ulster bank and First Active offer 0% for nine months on balance transfers. The op should note however that there are no guarantees that either of these providers, or indeed any cc provider, will give him the 8k limit he needs to clear his existing debt.

Why not take a loan and pay it off in a structured manner? The interest will be lower, and that €8k debt will go away in time.

The Sunday Times business section does a financial 'best buys' page that lists who's currently doing 0% offers on credit cards (amongst other things).
Check it and you'll see a range of institutions.
I think most sunday papers might carry this info....

Back