€70k to invest - property, shares - or neither?

Re: €70k to invest - property, shares - or neither?

would put 70k in leveraged equity fund ala bloxham high yield which is with pramit ghose.

That fund is down 13% in November, another 4% in December, another 12% in January. So about 30% in 3 months. Equity = high risk. Leveraged equity = high high risk. If you're happy with very large swings in your fund value, then fine go ahead but if you are not used to leveraged funds then make sure you are happy coping with the potential losses that go hand in hand with the potential gains.

Neither, at present.

Have a look at the IIB Bank latest product (the Payout Portfolio). There is two choices 100% Capital Security or 80 % security with upside potential which surely should be over 3 years. Try www.iib.ie

Yob / thomsk can I ask how you bought the gold?
Thanks

and no early encashment permitted with this fund which prevents people selling out when they probably should not.

Sunnyside,
View the following link for a way of buying gold...

http://www.gold.ie/

Can also buy other precious metals, such as silver.
( There's also a video clip that can be viewed regarding the fundamentals of owning gold ).

Don't forget that the price of gold can be volatile too, admittedly it has been volatile in the opposite direction of equities for the last few months. It will probably continue to rise but not necessarily, it could fall, so i wouldn't put all your money into gold.

Also here is a good quote from W Buffett about gold on Wikipedia:

"It gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."

Is there something about spreading your deposits so that you only have €50,000 or less with each bank? In this way you have a government guarantee to refund that amount should a bank go bust. The sun is shining! Why am i thinking like this?

Is there something about spreading your deposits so that you only have €50,000 or less with each bank? In this way you have a government guarantee to refund that amount should a bank go bust. The sun is shining! Why am i thinking like this?

I stand open to correction but my understanding is that this figure is 20,000 euro.

Please check that site [broken link removed] there is interesting property report in the left-up corner. Property location Krakow, Poland.

Other investment opportunity is to invest in polish lands. They have expierience in that [broken link removed]

Perhaps an interesting way to expose yourself to eastern Europe is to invest in a stock with exposure to the economies rather then put all your eggs in one basket (such as a friend who was sold a one bed apartment in Bulgaria only to realise it was a studio when the deal closed) Without naming names a certain domestic bank announced interest in Bulgaria today as well as having long standing interest in Poland. Bank of Ireland also have a fund opening for a second round I think which invests in a basket of global financial stocks that have been hit by subprime without being exposed to subprime. Think the minimum punt here is 20K.
I also have a friend whose wife is Hungarian. they went is separately to the same estate agent in Hungary on the same day and she was quoted 50K cheaper for the same property (he being the Irish foreign investor) Caveat Emptor :)

well gooner here i am again reading this post,wow,what ever did you do with the funds from your endowment,hope you did your homework.yob

Back