€70k to invest - property, shares - or neither?

The Gooner

Hi all.

Through the maturity and encashment of an Endowment policy that I opened 20 yrs ago, I now have €70k to invest. Stock Markets look like they still have some way to go before full effects of the US sub prime debacle are fully felt, Irish Property seems on a downward curve over the next 12 months so now maight not be the most oppertune time to buy while banks seem to be offering decent enough returns (thank god for competition) on a series of deposit accounts.

I don't currently own any other irish or foreign property, I don't have a share portfolio and luckily, little debt either. I would liek to continue the savings habit - but what would you do - property , shares or leave on deposit for a while ? I am not looking at a short terms gain and am looking forward minimum 5-7 years.
Thanks in advance,
The Gooner.

Re: €70k to invest - Property, Shares - or Neither?

you could start off by putting 12k (1k a month) into one of the 7% plus savings a/cs property for one is going to be anything like that for a long time by the looks of it ;)

if your looking for a foreign investment at that level poland is the place to invest . an educated nation with a lot of money flowing back to the country. just like ireland of 20 years ago. the rest is history

you could start off by putting 12k (1k a month) into one of the 7% plus savings a/cs property for one is going to be anything like that for a long time by the looks of it ;)

Thanks..... any suggestions on which is the best savings a/c to go with ?

Re: €70k to invest - property, shares - or neither?

if your looking for a foreign investment at that level poland is the place to invest . an educated nation with a lot of money flowing back to the country. just like ireland of 20 years ago. the rest is history

Thanks John. Have you experience of buying in Poland yourself ? Any suggestions on how to investigate this further - are there agencys, developers who specialize in Polish property that you are aware of ?

Thanks..... any suggestions on which is the best savings a/c to go with ?
See the Financial Best Buys forum and the many threads about combining high rate lump sum deposit accounts with high rate regular saver accounts.

See the Financial Best Buys forum and the many threads about combining high rate lump sum deposit accounts with high rate regular saver accounts.

Will do.... thanks.

Beware of sweeping statements like the above.

I'd be incline to put the lump sum on deposit or garanteed bond,as things are going to be volitile for a while yet,and consider a monthly savings bond to continue the saving habit.

I think you would be well advised to split your lump sum over a number of on-line accounts, FA eSavings, Rabodirect, Anglo and Northern Rock come directly to mind, all c 4.5%-5%

Be careful of the cut-off points for tiered interest rates, especially with FA.

Then you could open several of the High-Interest Regular accounts, c. 7% still available from FA, Halifax, EBS, AIB, etc, up to €1000 per/month on some

You could then set up a system to transfer money from the lump-sum accounts to the regular savings accounts, until the rates on these drop next year.

This would require a lot of active management.

Just to be helpful... heres the return (before DIRT) IF interest rates of 5% (deposit) and 7% (saver) stay put for 12mts.

Assume lump on deposit at 5% and several saver accounts at 7% (total 3k a month)

Balance:

Deposit - Savings - Mt Int - Dep Int - Accumulated
67000 |03000 |279.189| 017.499| 0296.688
64000 |06000 |266.688| 034.998| 0598.374
61000 |09000 |254.187| 052.497| 0905.058
58000 |12000 |241.686| 069.996| 1216.740
55000 |15000 |229.185| 087.495| 1533.420
52000 |18000 |216.684| 104.994| 1855.098
49000 |21000 |204.183| 122.493| 2181.774
46000 |24000 |191.682| 139.992| 2513.448
43000 |27000 |179.181| 157.491| 2850.120
40000 |30000 |166.680| 174.990| 3191.790
37000 |33000 |154.179| 192.489| 3538.458
34000 |36000 |141.678| 209.988| 3890.124

Gross Total After 12mts: 73,890

If in the very unlikely event that rates stay the same, the figure after 2yrs would be... 78,613 approx.... again dirt means its actually less

Yeah - Have been looking at a number of the regular savings accounts and I note the comments on the thresholds - but anoone any suggestions on taking some risk with some of the money - what are your vies on Equities - or buy some BOI shares for instance ?

Cant speak about individual firms... against AAM TOS.

In general equities have come down dramatically in P/E terms in the past few months with banks and construction stocks hardest hit (much to my expense!). Personally I can see that its entirely possible that there's much more to go yet... but if you're willing to suffer a paper loss for the short term I do think there's good value out there - even on the domestic front.

If I were you and didnt have much time or interest I'd stick a chunk of it into a fund (one with focus on growth firms, not income) and the balance maybe directly on a few speculative punts... but hey, thats just me...

i'd be incline to avoid the domestic financials,i just dont see where the growth is,unless they get taken over.but if you do want to stay domestic perhaps the construction firms,with legislation on new builds heading towards more energy efficant homes it suits some companies etc etc,do some research,but remember theres still a lot of volatility out there,so i stand by my first post......but this is only my opinion.

hey gooner,just being going over this post,and find it interesting to see some of the replies,and am wondering what you decided if anything,interesting times dont you think.yob

Instead of savings accounts for a year - have you considered buying gold and silver? This can be done via owning it physically, or via ETF'S.
In recessionary times, they usually perform well. Maybe put half into savings, half in gold/silver?

gold is up there at the moment,dont you think,i just wonder would you make more money doing nothing,and ride it out for a few more months,the water looks very chopie to me,but then thats just me,the wind could change!!!!!!!!!yob

Bought gold in september, and if I sold now( after costs ) I'd be up 23%. It's spot price has risen more than 3% today alone ( due to fed 75 pts cut ).

World economies look shaky at the moment, and 2008 doesn't look too well on stockmarket or property front (esp USA)

I would say that gold has a reasonable hike left yet! The negative news for markets seems to be incessant. There's talk of credit card overspending being the next slammmer...

ye,i bought gold in august,but my guy is talking of taking some profit,its a tough call,but any money i have on deposit,in reserve i'm leaving there,i'm going to wait a while

Back