€40 fine in the post from an Garda Siochana for alledgedly parking my car illegally.

familyguy

I received a fine in the post from an Garda Siochana for alledgedly parking my car illegally last Sunday in a public place.

I don't recall parking illegally but regardless of the rights or wrongs there was no notice left on my car to indicate that a traffic warden had found me to be breaking any parking laws.

So is this normal to just receive a notification and fine in the post nowadays?

It's a 40 euro fine. I haven't received one before I was led to believe that one would get a parking ticket for a parking offence.

I haven't received one before I was led to believe that one would get a parking ticket for a parking offence.

I think you're confusing traffic offences with parking fines.

If you received a fine from the Gardai, then it's a traffic offence. You may have parked on a footpath, on double yellow lines or within 5 metres of a junction for example. The Gardai don't leave fines on your windscreen. Unless you happen to be in your car at the time the Gardai encounter the offence, the first notice that you will receive will be in the post.

A parking fine is only issued by the Local Authority and is usually for not paying parking fees. The Traffic Warden will leave a fine on your windscreen.

I have found in the past that the Gardai DID leave a ticket on my car, but it was just a piece of paper, not one of those sticky plastic things. I sat in my car, put on my wipers and it just blew away in the wind. I still got the fine in the post a few days later though!

I don't recall parking illegally but regardless of the rights or wrongs there was no notice left on my car
You mean 'there was no notice FOUND on my car', which is a bit different. The notice may well have been left for you, but something happened to it before you got back to the car.

You mean 'there was no notice FOUND on my car', which is a bit different. The notice may well have been left for you, but something happened to it before you got back to the car.

Whether there was a note left on the car is irrelevant. The Gardai are not required to put a notice onto your windscreen you informing that your have received a fine.

People get speeding fines all the time and only get informed weeks after the event by post.

I have found in the past that the Gardai DID leave a ticket on my car, but it was just a piece of paper, not one of those sticky plastic things. I sat in my car, put on my wipers and it just blew away in the wind. I still got the fine in the post a few days later though!

You're lucky you didn't get a littering fine as well.

Sunday Parking Ticket

I got a fine on a Sunday last year too. I was parked on double yellow lines all right but you'd think the Gardai would relax the rules a bit on a Sunday.
I didn't pay it on time so ended up in court but the Garda didn't turn up in court so i got off without having to pay anything :)

Back