€30k to invest

Feria50

Hi folks

So as per the title.

Currently have about €60k in savings not earning a whole lot. I would like to put away €30k of this in an investment of medium level risk with the remainder in a mix of instant access and fixed term deposit.

The latter is getting 3% plus per annum which I am quite happy with. Can I reasonably expect much better from an investment on say a 5 year horizon? I don't know where to begin and perhaps I would be better sticking to deposits.

My work pension is maxed out from contributions perspective.

Would appreciate thoughts for a novice. Have been looking at Irish Life Smart Invest plans.

Can I reasonably expect much better from an investment on say a 5 year horizon?

No one knows.

A mixed asset fund (with an indicative equity range of 20%-50% depending on the view of the fund manager) would have generated a return of circa 4.66% (before tax) pa over the last 5 years but that assumes a 0.65% AMC and that the cost of the Government levy is covered by the product provider. But that return is in hindsight so it's of little value in any analysis.

I'd say the ILAC product has double those costs and I honestly think that putting a target term of 5 years on any investment is just too short.

Gerard

www.bond.ie

Last edited:
No one knows.

A mixed asset fund (with an indicative equity range of 20%-50% depending on the view of the fund manager) would have generated a return of circa 4.66% (before tax) pa over the last 5 years but that assumes a 0.65% AMC and that the cost of the Government levy is covered by the product provider. But that return is in hindsight so it's of little value in any analysis.

I'd say the ILAC product has double those costs and I honestly think that putting a target term of 5 years on any investment is just too short.

Gerard

www.bond.ie
Thank you.

I'm reality the term would probably be much longer than 5 years. No specific life events coming up

Back