€3 import duty on books ordered from UK from 1st July 2026

getting_on

Frequent Poster
Messages
104
Just an FYI.
I was unaware of this until I got a message about it last week from the courier.
I ordered direct from the publisher, Amazon would have taken care of it automatically.
Hate this type of carry on.
 
No good deed goes unpunished.
I bought from the print-on-demand publisher to better support the author
The base price was higher to start off with and €10 for p&p and now €3 customs, a book I could have got for €29 from Amazon ended up at around €48.
 
If etoll, or whatever they're called, raised their tolls citing a "huge growth in tolls received" as the reason that would be ridiculed I think.
 
Yes, if customs duty is not paid at online checkout, An Post charge €6.95 to collect those charges.

€3 + VAT to discourage you from buying cheap goods from outside the EU
€2 + VAT to compensate Revenue for processing customs on all the cheap goods you buy from outside the EU
€6.95 to compensate An Post for having to collect the previous two charges to give to Revenue.

= €13.10
 
Last edited:
I wonder if it's time to form a syndicate, and buy a small property, in Newry, to have all our future Amazon goodies shipped to ?

We can then take turns driving up there, on a weekly basis, to collect "the goods" and bring them back to Dublin.
 
= €13.10
Not likely to bother these lads
“Usually it’s in quantities of less than 5kg, and they are sending it back to Ireland in parcel post,” he said of smaller Irish drug dealers travelling abroad to countries where the drug has been legalised.
https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-la...ne-trade-as-supply-from-legal-markets-surges/
 
Many Amazon UK items can be delivered to a post office in NI for collection. There are two close to Newry (Cloughoge and Dublin Rd, Newry).

They don't seem to take bulky items any more (I've collected a large bean to cup coffee machine in the past), but might be a useful alternative to buying property up there
 
Back
Top