€200 Property tax Ireland

B

biltmore

Does anyone know if I am liable for the new property tax - I live in a rented Local authority house but own an apartment in spain. Officially I only own one property and there is no income from the property in spain.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You need to contact your local council (where your investment property is) and they will send you out the forms to register or www.nppr.ie

Teletext is quoting one month left to pay but the site says the following;

What's a "late payment fee"?

The Act provides that, if a charge is not paid within a month after the last date for payment, a late payment fee will apply for every month or part of month that the €200 charge remains unpaid. For 2009, this means that the late payment fee will apply to all payments made after 31 October 2009. The late payment fee amounts to €20 per month or part of a month. The late payment fee will continue to roll up as long as the charge remains unpaid and the amount involved can be substantial.

'Properties in the Rental Accomodation Scheme are exempt' -
Does it mean that if i have investment property and rent it with city council through Rental Accomodation scheme, i am exempt of property tax?

I'm getting married in a few weeks and will be moving out of my house sometime in October. When do I need to pay this tax?

Am I correct then that this tax applies to those people who own a property and do not live in it - regardless of whether they own a second property or not?

Have tried my local authority but to even get the phone answered was an issue let alone thinking that the new legislation had been communicated to them :mad:.

Am I correct then that this tax applies to those people who own a property and do not live in it - regardless of whether they own a second property or not?

Yes.

The way they have it worked is that every property in the country is assumed to attract the tax.

Then they apply exemptions- the main one being if it is your PPR

Just read this thread about the 200 euro property tax.

We own a second property and rent it out but we havn't been told anything about this tax.

Is this just incuded in your income tax return at the end of the year?

It seems to me that its a bit unfair to introduce a tax in the middle of the year, not inform you and then fine you for not paying it on time??

I'd say most investors haven't even heard about this yet. I just saw it by chance on the RTE business website last week

Hi Greentree, this was announced in the last budget and its been mentioned many times in the media since.

If you go to nppr.ie you will get all the necessary information. I agree that the publicisation of the actual implementation of this tax could have been better (it was widely reported after the October budget), it was fairly widely reported in the papers and on websites. You have to pay this before the end of September and it is separate from your usual income tax return.

p.s. if you google "200 second home" on google.ie you will see how much publicity this has gotten.

Last edited:
Hi Greentree, this was announced in the last budget and its been mentioned many times in the media since.

Yes, and it should be listed on your P11 form at the end of the year when you file your taxes, not collected in a system outside of this.

I dont think the Government should rely on the media to inform people of their tax liabilities.

Yes, and it should be listed on your P11 form at the end of the year when you file your taxes, not collected in a system outside of this.

I dont think the Government should rely on the media to inform people of their tax liabilities.

Agreed and think its not on the form because it is a local authority tax.

A friend of mine was shocked when I informed them of this tax a few days ago and how it had to be paid by the end of the month. She hadnt heard a thing about it on the news or in any media.

It got me thinking that what if people arent actually aware of this? considering no notification is being sent, if someone genuinely doesnt know about it and doesnt pay as a result, should they really be held liable?

Shouldnt the onus be on local authorities to send out notification? After all they have all the information they need from PRTB

Back