€200 Property Tax info from ESB etc

TLC

Does anyone know if it's actually legal for the ESB & PRTB or anyone else to share customer/client information without asking the client first about properties?
Just wondered as these companies are quoted as liaising with the local authorities to identify properties.

What is your question? Do you plan to sue the ESB on privacy grounds in order to avoid paying a tax that you are obliged to pay under a self-assesment basis?

If the ESB bill is in tenants names then there is no information to give. This is just being used as a way of scaring people into paying the tax by making them think their name will become known. There are so many undeclared second houses that loads of people will still get away with not paying the taxes that they owe.
And before anyone jumps on me for saying it - you only have to be on AAM regularly to realise how much it goes on.
And before anyone else jumps on me - my own point of view is that I'm against the tax (as someone with a second home) but as with all my taxes I will grin and bear it and pay-up!

The Data Protection Act says that restrictions on the disclosure of personal data do not apply if the disclosure is required for the purpose of preventing, detecting or investigating offences, apprehending or prosecuting offenders or assessing or collecting any tax, duty or other moneys owed or payable to the State, a local authority or a health board.

So, the local authorities can request the data from the ESB, as I understand it, and ESB would be obliged by law to provide it.

Regards,

Fnergg

My question was I think quite simple - is it legal for other agencies to supply information to local councils

Thanks Fnergg for the answer - it was just a query - where do people get the idea I'm enquiring to evade tax? Talk about jumping to conclusions. Surely finding out what uses our personal information can be put to is a useful thing to know.

Maytbe it wasn't a fair assumption but it's the assumption I made based on the information posted and the forum it was posted in. If it was posted in the Letting Off Steam, Consumer Rights and Issues or AskaboutLaw fora then I would have taken that the query was just out of curiosity.

The same question posted in different places can elicit very different responses.

Back