€2.70 for a bag of chips!

SoylentGreen

The Aprile in Stillorgan has a note apologising for the increase from €2.50 to €2.70 due to high price of potatoes. When there is a glut will the price fall back....not on your life.

Things are different in Dublin

You don't order a bag of chips, you order a "single"

Or you can have a "curry chip", yes just one.

Strangest of all is the wan n' wan :confused:

€2.70 is good value for a bag of chips in a traditional irish chipper (or chip chop as we used to call them as kids).

Compare the amount of chips you get in a traditional Irish chipper for €2.70 to the amount/quantity of chips you get in places like Burgerking/Mcdonalds??

Lennoxs' in Cork (the one on Bandon Rd) would feed a small army with one bag of chips. Hungry now :-(

Well the glut of potatoes is back. No sign of the above mentioned chippers reducing their prices in line with the fall in the potato price.

Well the glut of potatoes is back. No sign of the above mentioned chippers reducing their prices in line with the fall in the potato price.

I think you'll have to get on to Mary Lou, she's a woman for tackling the big issues for the common man.....

Between the overpriced chips, the unsociable work colleagues, the lack of 5c stamps, the underwight salmon, the dog poo in Dun Laoghaire and fears over the State kidnapping my children, this is turning into a miserable Christmas.

Oh wait, at least we have a price war in brussell sprouts. :(

Between the overpriced chips, the unsociable work colleagues, the lack of 5c stamps, the underwight salmon, the dog poo in Dun Laoghaire and fears over the State kidnapping my children, this is turning into a miserable Christmas.

Sorry to spread more gloom, but the minister for Agriculture was on the radio this morning, legislation to stop shops selling cheap veg is on the way. The presenter (Cathal McCoille I think) was demanding that he do something about cheap onions.

Did the minister welcome these low prices and recognise that this might be a good thing for consumers, in these difficult times etc.

Not on your life, these cheap veg threaten a vested interest and will be legislated against.

Seems now that the Troika are gone it is back to the old ways. Protect the farmers.

But Happy Christmas Sunny in any case!

Just back from Lidl this morning. Got my 5c potatoes and carrots. Didn't bother with the brussells sprouts, turnips or parsnips. Disappointed that my marzipan bars and ginger treats are all gone and a lot of the DeLuxe range is moving fast. No queues at the checkout and plenty of parking though. Missed yet another parcel delivery when I got home. My house is beginning to look like a Parcel Motel with all my children's online purchases filling the hallway awaiting collection. My fridge still has lots of room in it and I intend to keep it that way this year.
I have no problem re-using the 60c stamps that have not been franked whereas in the past I might have thought twice about this. My new years resolution "Breaking Bad".

Beef prices will probably rise next year too as Japan has lifted its ban on Irish beef and China are likely to do so also.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...s-kenny-trade-visit-to-japan-begins-1.1613723

Supply & Demand folks.

How does this increase in the price of chips affect the most vulnerable in society is the burning question

Wonder what will happen to the price of the humble sprout and carrot when Lidl / Aldi / Tesco etc. drive the local greengrocer from the market. :confused:
Now I could be accused of being sceptical here but I doubt if the actions of the aforementioned are a gesture of goodwill towards their customers. Best of luck to anyone who avails but remember in the long term “if it’s too good to be true etc. etc.” :(

Back