Home €1250 per year for home insurance

jim79

My parents home is insured with Allianz. They are getting old and are not as sharp as they once were. By chance i saw that they are paying €1250 per year for home insurance. The house is a modest bungalow of 2500 sp ft approx.

The premises is covered for €317519 & contents is the same value. When i went onto the allianz website for a quick quote the max they would quote contents is 50% of the house value.

Since my parents are paying 100% of contents value does that mean that they have grounds for a complaint for being overinsured beyond the terms of the insurance companies 50%?

Contents value is nutts. 2500ft would not fall under modest but its the contents that is making it high. Get your parents to ring allianz and adjust the contents and get a refund for any unused period

Sounds like your parents are insured through a PTSB/Allianz scheme. For some reason they always had the same contents cover as buildings (A Cynic might say to generate a higher premium..). There is no point having that high contents as they will only get reinstatement value if they have a total loss. I wouldn't limit your parents to just Allianz for a house quotation, as they can be expensive, I would help them shop around for the best deal.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back