€1000 tax-free pandemic bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never heard of either of them. Are they bad people?
I'm sure you can do your own research on that one. My point isn't about whether they are good or bad. My point is about the reaction that partnering with Gript gets from 'the baying mob'. Portraying ISME as an organisation that is concerned about 'the baying mob' is a bit of a stretch.

Of course it was- how would the internal fiscal decisions of a private company be in any way relevant here.
Because it shows that most such decisions, around rewarding or remunerating staff, are done with 'other people's money', whether public or private.

My point is about the reaction that partnering with Gript gets from 'the baying mob'. Portraying ISME as an organisation that is concerned about 'the baying mob' is a bit of a stretch.
Populist opinion is quite base and doesn't tend to get caught up with ideology so ISME's affiliations are irrelevant.

"Denying" or not supporting giving workers an additional paid leave day is another matter entirely and would be baying mob territory; ISME aren't stupid.

Because it shows that most such decisions, around rewarding or remunerating staff, are done with 'other people's money', whether public or private.
This isn't a semantics discussion, despite it being convenient for some to try to detract from the point.

75% of businesses are family owned. they employ around 50% of the workforce and 50% of the countries GDP (so more than 60% of it's GNI*). Therefore it is false to suggest that "most such decisions, around rewarding or remunerating staff, are done with 'other people's money'".

This isn't a semantics discussion, despite it being convenient for some to try to detract from the point.
You're right, it's not about semantics, it is about the Government making a modest payment to a group of workers who went through an exceptionally challenging period, many of whom worked above and beyond their role, their hours to actually keep people alive, putting their own health and welfare on the line in doing so. Most of these workers are modestly paid, they'll never get stock options or a Christmas bonus, they'll never even get a Christmas party unless they pay for it themselves.
But the petty bitterness and backbiting coming through on this thread says so much more about the posters than about the targets of their ire. I trust that they'll be equally vocal the next time they're sitting in the ED getting stitched up or lying in their hospital bed after their operation.

I trust that they'll be equally vocal the next time they're sitting in the ED getting stitched up or lying in their hospital bed after their operation.
They'll probably have more than enough time to get it out of their system while they are waiting to be seen in the ED. ;)

Most of these workers are modestly paid, they'll never get stock options or a Christmas bonus, they'll never even get a Christmas party unless they pay for it themselves.
Most of them are well paid. I don't begrudge them that, but nursing and medical employees are relatively well paid. They earn it, no argument there from me, but they are, on average, well paid.

it is about the Government making a modest payment
You mean the government saddling us with even more debt
to a group of workers who went through an exceptionally challenging period,
Certainly not the case for all of them, on the contrary.
many of whom worked above and beyond their role,
And many who exploited it to the enth degree
their hours to actually keep people alive,
They're paid for those hours
putting their own health and welfare on the line in doing so.
That's part of the job they're paid to do
Most of these workers are modestly paid, they'll never get stock options or a Christmas bonus, they'll never even get a Christmas party unless they pay for it themselves.
Most are well paid.

Little to no accountability, immunity from redundancy, incremental pay for time served regardless of performance, a guaranteed future reduced pay scheme mainly funded by public borrowing/taxes are slightly more valuable than Christmas bonuses/parties or stock options.
But the petty bitterness and backbiting coming through on this thread says so much more about the posters than about the targets of their ire.
Defending the indefensible and attempting to deflect attention from the point says much more about the unionised apologists than those stating the obvious and their observations.
I trust that they'll be equally vocal the next time they're sitting in the ED getting stitched up or lying in their hospital bed after their operation.

That would not be prudent-pernicious bullying of "awkward" patients is commonplace and deeply unsettling to behold.

One thing for certain, no matter what the Govt was going to do here, they were on a hiding. Do nothing, they will be criticised, do something, for better or for worse, they will be criticised. We are, after all, a nation of begrudgers

In terms of cost, 200000 staff getting this payment will cost the state around €200m. A chunk of that will be recovered in tax, PRSI and USC so the real cost is likely to be somewhere between €125m and €150m. A lot of money no doubt, but to put it in context, it would buy you a wing(maybe) of the new childrens hospital or 41 train carriages or a third of the price of the Adare by pass. All of that money will be spent as well so there will be an increase in consumption, demand and VAT as a result, reducing the cost to the state by even more.

In terms of the private sector, as a manager, I already had a full quota of staff booked off for that day and I was never expecting it to be the most productive day of the year. It's cost us 0.4% of our capacity output but it won't impact on our orders as we'll play catch up the following week. In the great scheme of things, it might cost us a few hours overtime but that will be it, not the end of the world as some people seem to be suggesting.

It's also going to be a massive boost for the holiday sector which will also give a welcome tax return to the state coffers so many businesses will probably make money as a result of this

I'm surprised the GRA were out of the blocks looking for the bonus so quickly.

Substantial drop in crime, substantial drop in road traffic incidents, substantial drop in night time antisocial issues, yet overtime payments fully maintained.

I think they have been very well rewarded

On the question of the private sector paying their staff a "Pandemic" bonus, are they allowed to pay it tax free??

Our company gave us days off over the past two years (they were referred to as Wellness days) and this seems to have been a common enough idea in the private sector. Would it not have been easier for the government to give extra holidays to frontline healthcare staff rather than a payment?

Our company gave us days off over the past two years (they were referred to as Wellness days) and this seems to have been a common enough idea in the private sector. Would it not have been easier for the government to give extra holidays to frontline healthcare staff rather than a payment?
We had people out with Covid, close contacts, kids at home etc over the last two years and we make medical equipment and were very busy so the last thing we were in a position to do was give people extra days off.
How about the Government allows every employer provide an optional tax free bonus of €500 for every employee? That way the bonus for the healthcare employees aren't devalued but everyone gets something.

excellent, so they'll have more money to spend, drive up demand in shops and hospitallity and increased VAT
We are heading into a higher inflation period. Not a bad thing considering the amount of global debt but our state spending policies need to be recalibrated to take that into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back