€1,300 for a 2 month gas bill

Yikes... and it reflected actual use rather than dodgy estimation? And you haven't lost any discounts compared to bill last year?

Edit, also if you turn the Thermostat down a degree, your Bordeaux can be served at a more appropriate temperature :)

Last edited:
I suggest wearing warmer clothing.
My children complain of being cold in the house in winter while wearing t-shirts and shorts.
I tell them to put on big-boy pants and a jumper or hoodie, or both, and see if they are still cold.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo
Yikes... and it reflected actual use rather than dodgy estimation? And you haven't lost any discounts compared to bill last year?

Edit, also if you turn the Thermostat down a degree, your Bordeaux can be served at a more appropriate temperature :)
The discounts seem to have gone down all right but I checked with switcher.ie and my Electric Ireland deal is still amongst the best, I think Flogas are the only ones significantly better.
The price per unit went up from 5.5 something per unit to 13.5 somethings, so that is the main culprit.

The ESB announced bumper profits today, up 25% on last year.
But sure, they had to raise prices as the cost of energy on the international markets is so high

The ESB announced bumper profits today, up 25% on last year.
But sure, they had to raise prices as the cost of energy on the international markets is so high
I remember reading a few years ago that wages were nearly 50% of the ESB's input cost. Given that the average wage there is more than twice the average industrial wage we are actually paying high energy bills partially because of their high levels of pay.

Got my 2 monthly bill today from Bord Gais. €350 which is not quiet double the same period last year which was €189.
Units used are actually down slightly this year.

Heat is on for about 3 to 4 hours a day max in total

Electricity bill €225 so net €25 with the government credit... and we use gas for heat, hob cooking and hot water.

I remember reading a few years ago that wages were nearly 50% of the ESB's input cost. Given that the average wage there is more than twice the average industrial wage we are actually paying high energy bills partially because of their high levels of pay.
That was when gas prices were on the floor. Historically they were about €20 per mwh, (2c a unit) at one point in the summer it went to €340 / mwh. (34c a unit before transmission costs)

When the raw material is very cheap, other costs do make up a much larger % of the sales price.

OP's bill is about correct. My business gas price went from 5.5c to 13c on a same month basis, but down 15% from 1st March to just under 11c.

Got my 2 monthly bill today from Bord Gais. €350 which is not quiet double the same period last year which was €189.
Units used are actually down slightly this year.

Heat is on for about 3 to 4 hours a day max in total
Oops! I have my heat on 17 hours a day! Coming into summer I guess I should drop it back to about 6 hours.

Back