‘Rent Review’ leaving me without rent for 3 months – Advice Please


Registered User

I have been letting out a property for the first time for one and a half years now and have been plagued with problems. My letting agent advised me that problems with Rent Allowance tenants were exaggerated and that I was unlikely to get a private tenant in the area anyway.

The current issue is that I have not received any rent for two going on 3 months. My letting agent tells me this is because of a 3 month Rent Review (Rent was increased after the first year) that is required on the property. The agent says that the Department of Social Protection say they have been in contact with the tenants to arrange a property viewing but that they have heard nothing back from the address so that rent has been paused and will be back dated after an inspection has been carried out.

Is anyone else having this experience?

Is this common practice?

How can rent be stopped without an inspection?

How can rent be stopped by the DSP without notifying the landlord / letting agent?

Any information / advice really appreciated.



Frequent Poster
Has the rent been paid directly to you from the DSP or is it paid to the tenant who then pays you?


Frequent Poster
This has happened to me twice in the last 18 months. DSP paid up eventually.

Your agreement is with the tenant, not with the DSP. Your tenant still has an obligation to pay the rent. You should notify your tenant that they are in arrears and this is a breach of their obligations, that you are entitled to terminate the tenancy if the rent is not paid and give them a reasonable amount of time to pay the arrears. The initial notice that the tenant is in arrears does not need to be in writing but it might be advisable to do so. I consider 10 working days to be reasonable.


Frequent Poster
I think you may have a bigger issue than you realise.

What is meant by a rent review in this context. The Rent Allowance scheme does not as far as I know review the rental amount.

They review the tenants eligibility for the scheme. For example if a child grows up and leaves the family the eligibility will change. Or if the tenant no longer lives at the property, or is claiming rent allowance in respect of two properties. If they call to the property and the tenant is not at home they get even more suspicious.

I suggest you contact the Community Welfare Officer directly to find out what is going on. I don't know if they will tell you but I have found them helpful in the past. After all they are happy to have landlords who accept RA tenants.

I also agree with Paid's suggestion about approaching the tenant.

And FIRE your letting agent, why do you pay them if they aren't doing anything when the going gets difficult.