Dublin Rental - Best area

ringledman

Hi,

I have moved to Dublin from the UK.

Could anyone recommend the best place to rent around the city centre?

I will be working at the airport so need to be able to get a bus easily from the city centre to the airport.

How long does the bus usually take? Will I be going against the traffic?

My budget is up to around 1400euro/month and am looking for 1 bed apartment.

Ideally I want to be based in a safe area where my English accent doesn't stand out too much! I also want to be close enough to enjoy the city centre whilst also in easy access to the airport.

Thanks.

Northwood in Santry perhaps!?

Max, one hour by bus from town, and about 10 mins from the airport.

Investors are crying out for rentors out there cos there's so many apartments after being built out there.

northwood is nice spot alright or maybe drumcondra - nice are close to city centre (10 mins) and 20 mins from airport...wouldnt worry too much about the accent by the way - we've moved on :)

There is no need to worry about your English Accent too much. Just be careful whilst going around. Act as if you are a local. The areas mentioned in Swords are OK, but you could try Malahide which is beautiful but i am not sure as to transport to Airport.

northwood is nice spot alright or maybe drumcondra - nice are close to city centre (10 mins) and 20 mins from airport...wouldnt worry too much about the accent by the way - we've moved on :)

I don't doubt things have moved on, its great over here and the friendliest place to live!

I was just told to avoid certain areas North of the city speaking as I do!

Will check out the areas mentioned. Cheers.

Hi,
Rents are coming down so 1400 should get you a 2 bed apt in Malahide. You could probably get a one bed for 1100 per month and it would be right in the village. Transport would be much better from Santry but you would have more fun living in Malahide, lovely restaurants, great pubs and nice walks etc.
Dont worry about the accent...Dublin is a very cosmopolitan place, we certainly have moved on.

I was just told to avoid certain areas North of the city speaking as I do!

Hmm, while we might have moved on somewhat with regards to English accents, it seems that some of us (Southsiders?) have not moved on from snobbish generalisations about parts of our own city. One will always meet ignorant people, no matter where one is.

You're unlikely to get hassle anywhere in Dublin due to your accent - conversely, you're as likely to get hassle in 'certain areas North of the city' as you are in 'certain areas South of the city' be they millionaire postcodes or allegedly less salubrious parts.

I hear you Sherman!! I know people who campaigned against apartheid in South Africa and their views on half of their own city would make a KKK member blush. For some folk, prejudice is something that desperately requires tackling as long as it's elsewhere!

On location...Malahide is a great spot to live and is self contained as regards pusbs / restaurants etc but is still quite small. If you really want the city centre then Drumcondra is probably the best option. You will have plenty of choice in both locations with your budget. Good luck with your move.

Drumcondra not too bad of a area, but there is some dodging spots there too! Maybe people should give him a list of the good areas up that way?

Hi there,
If you are looking for somewhere - Avoid swords - too far - chapelizod, drumcondra clontarf, fairview, harolds cross (ss), doneybrook(ss),ranelagh (ss) (the best area) and terenure - a really lovely village like area (ss) all brilliant areas -- ss being south side all others north side.
All are very close to town - max 20 minutes by bus.. ranalagh has the luas (tram) ... And are areas with a sence of night life in their own right....
I would'nt worry about having an english accent - obviously there are a certain amount of thugs in Dublin - but the reality is you wont meet them....

Check out the above areas in www.daft.ie ....
All the best...
P:)

Hi,

I have moved to Dublin from the UK.

Could anyone recommend the best place to rent around the city centre?

I will be working at the airport so need to be able to get a bus easily from the city centre to the airport.

How long does the bus usually take? Will I be going against the traffic?

My budget is up to around 1400euro/month and am looking for 1 bed apartment.

Ideally I want to be based in a safe area where my English accent doesn't stand out too much! I also want to be close enough to enjoy the city centre whilst also in easy access to the airport.

Thanks.

This would be ideal http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=187&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=537776

its under your budget and u can get the bus to the aiport just outside it. I live in the area and its v quiet settled area with plenty of amenities.

Drumcondra not too bad of a area, but there is some dodging spots there too! Maybe people should give him a list of the good areas up that way?

Why don't you as you seem to know the area well enough to comment on it?

Stoneybatter is quiet a nice area. Very close to town and also on the northside so close to the airport. Also from looking at daft there appears to be a lot of rental accommodation in the area as well

Drumcondra is probably the most suitable area for you, being within staggering distance from the city, yet also a community in its own right. Also directly on the 16A and other airport bus routes. Phibsboro and Stoneybatter also great areas, but a little bit less convenient to the airport.

Best of luck in Dub, ringledman!

[broken link removed]
Check out the time tables for the 16 group of busses and 41 group of busses - these go to the airport. They will give you an idea of where they go by.

[broken link removed]
Check out the time tables for the 16 group of busses and 41 group of busses - these go to the airport. They will give you an idea of where they go by.

Just be aware that the 16 is an extremely long route, which leaves from Rathfarnham on the Southside and travels right across the City Centre and on to the Airport. While there is a bus corridor for parts of the way, it can still take a long time to get from the start of the route to the terminus. So I'd really look at the Northside areas covered by the route and forget anywhere south of the Liffey unless you want to spend half your life commuting.

Back