Key Post: Building timberframe

N

npgallag

Have decided, after much research (mostly on AAM)and debate, to go with timberframe to construct my story and a half house. Looking for any recomendations for builders in midland area with experience of this construction and general good or bad stories. Also have 2 quotes for frame itself....IJM 42k and Century homes ..51k. Seems a very big gap...any experience of standard of service from these companies...Thks..

check the details

Having looked at both these companies at one stage and if memory serves me correctly, IJM may not include insulation in their package but Century do. They may also differ in thickness of the timberframe structure. This of course doesn't cover all the difference, but you see what I mean. Check carefully what each package consists of so you can compare like with like.

Me old neighbour used IJM

He was not happy with them. Something went wrong in the design somewhere and it took ages for them to fix it .

I recall that had the design not gone wrong the materials and finish aspect was fine. It was his own design and not an off the shelf design from in house .

The house is in a very exposed area and seems to be bearing up well so far but there are no kiddies in it :)

Re: Building timberframe

harto1.. have checked spec. and it works out as follows:
Century Homes was 41K for kit + insulation with an extra €9,500 for erection costs. TOTAL €50,500
IJM 36K for kit and erection with an extra €5,000 for insulation and plasterboard. TOTAL €41,000. Cant see any other differences really. Have mail Century to see what they think of difference. Who did you go with in the end..??
w0dgah..thats worrying because mine is also my own design...Did your friend get a contractor to complete house and how much did it cost in the end....just looking for what precentage the frame was of completed price

timber

century homes probably dont want your business. apparently they are more into multi unit estate type work and are less interested in one-off's

frame cost

about 30% he said

house cost €70 a square foot total but he said timber was about €10 a sq ft cheaper than block , for example there is no chasing for electrics and stuff

timber frame..

Did you also consider GriffnerCoillte??
They do an all in cost - more or less finished.
Would be very interested if anyone has feedback on them . They will be at the Self Build show in Galway next weekend and i will talk to them for sure ..but feedback is even more valuable.

Re: Key Posts on

In case anyone here has not already read these

or from

GriffnerCoillte

They may possibly not exist by the end of next year .

The Minister for Justice is on the warpath or have you not read a paper in the past fortnight .

griffner coillte

@W0dgah: Yes, i have seen the stories - and i'd say its more likely to be tax payers money paying up for someone in Roscommon Co. Co. trying to nail someone prominent (as much as i dont like the guy). Anyways, if Griffner was at fault, both parts of that business relationship have resources behind them.

Now, im hoping someone has some real feedback - as the only catch on this will probably be price. So if anyone can give an indication of what they charge per sq. ft on average for a complete job, i would appreciate it.

not trying to be smart BB

1st remember that you could almost finish the house including electrics in the factory and just clip it together .

some timer frame are frame only while some will integrate windows electrics plsterboard and nearly hang the internal doors.

the ONLY like for like is a frame only job without windows as a basis for rough comparison . after that its easier t fit teservices inside and the plaster s a smaller job (one coat) and it dries quick

also remember that oran precast in Galway have gone the tme frame route and will prefab a concrete hous for ya.

griffner coillte timber frame...

> 1st remember that you could almost finish the house including electrics in the factory and just clip it together

This is what im looking for. From what i have read, Griffners business model is that they will do more or less a compete job - not just supply and erect. This is what i want - its just a question of whether i can afford to go this route/what they charge for a complete job.

different model

Century and IJM tend to do frame only , you still need a plasterer , sparks , chippie etc.

maybe email [email protected] for a reference :)

some of these Swedish and Austrian imports that yer man Duncan goes apesh1t over are the same kind of turnkey package by the way.

GriffnerCoillte Timber Framed Homes...

>some of these Swedish and Austrian imports that yer >man Duncan goes apesh1t over are the same kind of >turnkey package by the way.

Yeah. He has featured Griffner before on his TV program. Also, he is the architect on the new Coillte HQ office extension in Wicklow - built using Griffner kit...course it had to be...its their subsidiary company...

Griffner

Griffner Coillte quoted me something outlandish for my house - around the half million or somthing crazy like that

Surprising as it seems, electricians and plumbers dont seem to be mad about timberframe (drilling holes seems to be less fun than chasing blocks!!).

Timberframe works well on simple designs, beware the complex one-off design.

confirming my fears..

Thanks for the feedback betsy. It sounds like I will have to roll up my sleeves and take an active part in this self build. It will wreck my head for sure - but i suppose its the only way.

Will see what sort of indicative price they can give me on the weekend and will post back here.

Re: confirming my fears..

I was also planning to go this route but will put it off - maybe one for the future.

From what i've been reading, it seems that theyre padding on the margin for these in comparison with concrete ie. there should be a financial advantage but they are not any cheaper.

I can only imagine that timberframe will get cheaper (at least relative to concrete at a given time) in future - as the volume of timberframe builds increases.

Hi guys...

Just wondering how you guys got on with the timber frame companies and which ones ye went for..Haven't seen any posts from ye for a while.....I'm in the process of choosing a timber frame company to deliver and construct the timber frame only my 2000 sq.ft dormer bungalow. IJM quoted in the region of 40,000. I haven't got a quote from the rest yet.

I got a quote for a complete build from Nu Homes who are also a timber frame crowd and they quoted me euro 232,000 which worked out at 120 euro / sq.ft. That includes everything except the kitchen and the painting.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Iam building a timber frame house 2500sq feet i am hopping the cost we be about 180k. so far i have spent
20k raft
49k timber kit with stairs internal partion, floor,s plasterboard and roof trusses.
6k 14 windows black on white pvc plus front back doors.
3k fees
2k water
6k felt and slates

I have had a quote for felting ,battening and slating roof ect of 6500 euro
for fitting about 4200 slates. Is this a good quote?
Thanks bob

hi
Can anyone give me a rough idead what my finished costs (without kitchen or landscaping) would be for a timber frame home built in limerick.
site 80,000
timber frame 55,ooo (2500 sq ft)

any reccomendations for timber frame companies or buiders or all in one companie

limerickwoma

Back