Any Rules/Regs regarding parking large trucks in estates?

M

myquestion

Anyone know what the rules & regulations are regarding the parking of trucks/lorrys in housing estates. I think I remember something before regarding a limit on the size.
Got a guy who is in a rented house in our estate, and is now parking a 30/40 ft truck in the drive but mostly on the road outside. This happened occasionally before and wasn't a problem.
But now it seems to be a permanent thing and is cauing some safety issues and not to mention an eyesore. House prices are high enough to not expect this crap.
I think there's some limit? Does anyone know?
One to see what the rules/regs are before asking him to find more suitable parking, as I don't think he'll do it unless he's forced.

Re: Any Rules/Regs regarding parking large trucks in estates

I would also be interested to hear an answer to this, my brother has a chap parking his rigid very close to this driveway, blocking his view getting out of the driveway, it's on a road where kids tend to hang out and play and it is an absolute eyesore?

Re: Any Rules/Regs regarding parking large trucks in estates

Hi myquestion,

It is an offence to park on a pavement (which is what a vehicle sticking out of a driveway is doing); suggest that you pursue this through the gardai rather than on a civil basis (your solicitor would ultimately get into a protracted and expensive correspondence with Mr. Truck's solicitor).

Talk to the police and then, critically, write to the local superintendent - ultimately it's an accident waiting to happen and he/she will not want a copy of your letter being waved around should the worst happen.

maybe not a specific law....
1. do you have a residents association?
2. most traffic issues it seems to me can be caught under the safety issue. An enourmous truck causing a danger by blocking view/being parked within 5 metres of a junction etc I am sure would be caught under this...

Defo ask your local guarda station for advice I would think

Re: ..

Or more specifically, speak to your local Community Garda who should be better used to dealing with such issues.

What a :) (Well, if you live in SDCC-land)

HGV Parking

A lot of residential areas have no parking allowed for over 3 Tonne vehicles.

Which is all damn fine and dandy but what about the guy next door who works for Bord Gais and takes a large truck and compressor trailer home every night because he might get called out to an emergency ?

eDog

Re: HGV Parking

I can understand the need for the guy who works for esb or whomever, but at the end of the day we pay over the top for houses in nice estates now. In this case, is it now upto the employer to make arrangements. Surely the employee could drive to a pre-designated location, pickup the truck and continue to work then?

Myq....FWIW

I dont agree with you on that

Why shouldnt our 'gas man' park his rig outside where he lives.

Looked at it from his point of view. He has probably paid as much as the man next to him for his plot. By taking his rig home with him he can avoid unnecessary trips 'to the depot' ( the old way of doing this ) and also avoid the issue of where to put his motor in the depot ( or perhaps he should get the bus to the depot - handy if there is a weekend / night time call out ? )

Now if a transport company was parking a fleet of trucks outside my door I would have a different view.

Hope this helps

eDog

Re: Myq....FWIW

And if every rig-driver parks outside his house, the employer won't have to pay for a yard at all. I'm sure he'll be delighted.

Why not allow Dublin Bus drivers to park their double-deckers outside their homes overnight too? That way, they can avoid an unneccessary trip to the bus depot early in the morning and simply drive the bus to the start of the route?

I don't think so.

Dont imagine that bus drivers would be on 24 Hr call to sort out gas leaks &c.

Also, bus companies wouldnt want to / cant have buses running a single shift. ( Believe it or not buses are cleaned when they are back at the depot ).

I guess my view is that I dont object to a truck being parked outside my house if there is a good reason for it to be there.

Glad to help

eDog

I'd have a bloody serious issue with it if it restricted my view when driving or placed any member of my family in any kind of danger what so ever.
And I'd be fairly fast to point it out to said rig owner too. Housing estates are where homes are. Homes are where kids play. A 35 foot rig is not a thing to be kept near kids.

As the estate might be private land and so mightn't contain a public road, the guards mightn't be able to help. There may be a clause in the deed of transfer transferring the site to you and all of your neighbours restricting the type of vehicle parked in the designated parking areas, or a general ' dont cause a nuisance to neighbours' type clause that you could use to put a stop to this, but you will have to get a copy of your title deeds to check. There may even be a planning restriction against this in the planning for the estate- check it out. If it is a privately managed estate, you could propose a change to the rules to prevent it happening. Only problem is- you may be very unpopular with a close neighbour and you have to live there...

storage space

Airports have to pay for storage space, as railway companies and harbour authorities . The hauliers demand free roads to shutter and free parking(storage!) spaces.
Of course they demand cheap diesel and insurance and taxes , otherwise they might join the farmers at the next demonstration to Dublin ....

Re

Why is it that people who lives in estates feel that they have some right to the public highway right outside their door.
You lot is your plot simple as that.
Dublin Corporation have a new incentive now to get people to use their driveways if they have one instead of fencing off their frontage with a car.
I recently parked outside a house on an estate and was told to move it and that the space belonged to "me husband". Some cheek ,i pointed out that i pay road tax and therefore i am a paid up member of the Public Highway , 30 mins later her husband knocked on my girlfriends door asking me to move the car so he could park there. I declined , he called the police and ended up with a warning for wasting police time.

But all in all i have experienced problems in the past and the Gardai do not want to know , the matter is strictly for your local councils traffic control dept.

They will enforce the necessary bye laws which govern you issue , the offender should certainly not be blocking the path , i would get on to the company and let them know and their insurers that they will need to resolve the matter , you can do this anon i am sure.

parking

This may be a little off topic, but can anything be done about a car being parked fully on a footpath, on a bend, on a junction? Or is the estate private property (I guess I need to check on that).

If any part of your car/vehicle is parked on the footpath you are breaking the law. Trafic warden or guard can even fine you for it.

You cannot park within 5 metres of a junction, again warden or guard can do you.

I can't remember the bend one if you are parked properly, i.e. not on yellow lines, or on the kerb etc. But I have a feeling there is a general catch all about not parking in a dangerous location. A bend could be classed as that.

large vehichles inhousing estates

I know this is slightly different but I hope someone can help

I live in a small housing estate of three bed room terraced houses with very little extra parking There is a family renting in one and while they keep to themselves , they have not one but three vehicles , a very large van, a small car and a foreign registered large car with a result there is very little parking for anyone else

The van is an eyesore and takes up all the driveway and
blocks neighbours views and I was wondering is there a requirement for all foreign registered vehicled to be re registered in Ireland

Re: large vehichles inhousing estates

Is the foreign registered car being driven regularly?

Re: large vehichles inhousing estates

Unless the car has only been brought in temporarily by a visitor, yes it must be re-registered and the tax paid. See

What are you planning to do? Tell them to stop parking or you'll shop them to the Revenue? Or just shop them to the Revenue quietly in the hope that they'll be forced to get rid of one of the cars?

Back