Key Post: Mosquitoes

C

cullenswood

Anyone know any good pre-emptive actions that you can take to reduce the amount of mosquito bites you get when on holiers. We are going to Spain next week and my Mrs usually gets bitten alive (sometimes with very bad swelling), me however, I never get touched!!

Re: mosquitoes

Allegedy Vitamin B tablets taken regularly before you go are supposed to make you less attractive to mosquitos. Have tried it and still got bitten. Some people say eating lots of garlic helps too .. again I can't say I found this to work either

Only thing I found work is strong insect repellent (stuff with DEET in it) .. but unless you're going to somewhere with Malaria it's prob not worth using this stuff as it isn't very good for you and it's very smelly.

Covering up between dawn & dusk (esp your ankles) is good advice though again not necessarily that practical on holidays in a warm climate. Getting one of those plug in to the wall repellents might be a good idea too

mosquitoes

If you are in the Dun Laoghaire area it is worth calling in to the Tropical Medicine Centre on Northumberland Ave. - they have lots of repellants etc. It might sound a bit drastic but it is preferable to having a holiday spoiled by bites. Do keep hotel/apartment windows/doors closed, do either spray or burn repellent in the room when you are going out; do cover up at night and it is worth spraying repellant on exposed area to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

mossies

I heard from a friend that by taking clarityn (anti-histamine) tablets before you go, helps prevent u getting bitten. Haven't tried it myself yet but will be giving it a go before I go on hols.

mossies

Things that attract mossies....

High blood suger
Dark things (clothes, poorly lit areas)
Dusk, Dawn
perfumes, aftershaves
Exposed skin (ankles especially)

If you take steps to address these and you still have problems, then you need to look at pharmacutical tactics

Mossies

Avon "Skin so softly" although not designed for this purpose has been proved to be very effective. Just back from Scotland which is renowned for the nasties, where they swear by it for midges etc. They even sell it in garages and local shops. Lavander is also used.

Re: Mossies

Thanks PotBlack,

Any idea where I'd get this Avon "Skin so softly" in Ireland. Is is available in local chemists?

Re: Mosquitoes

Last year I travelled to the US (Yosemite) and used a natural product with lemongrass in it. Let me just say that this did nothing to deter the wee beasties from sampling Irish blood.

This year I was at the same location and travelled well armed: Piriton (anti-histamine) and Boots mossie repellant with Deet.

I took the Piriton one day before my trip and continued to use it while there and for one day after.
The spray was incredibly strong (so much so that it was impossible to breath while applying it and therefore, I may not have covered all exposed areas). I did get one or two bites and one on my cheek, but none reacted as they had last year (like balloons full of pus). This is due to the Piriton. It doesn't stop them from biting you, it just lessens the allergic reaction to the bite.
My chemist did also recommend the B6 tablets but I didn't take them. I reckon if I had I would have had every angle covered.
Another tip, though not very glamorous, is I covered up from dusk onwards, long trousers and long sleeves.
I suppose you could look at it this way, be unglamorous for the few hours at night versus being unglamorous for the whole holiday with bites the size of eggs all over.
Best of luck!!!!

insect bites

EvilDoctor K said: Only thing I found work is strong insect repellent (stuff with DEET in it) .. but unless you're going to somewhere with Malaria it's prob not worth using this stuff as it isn't very good for you and it's very smelly.
Unfortunately, malaria isn't the only disease transmitted by biting insects, as yesterday's report on Irish tourists who contracted the West Nile Virus in Portugal this month shows. (However, the risk of WNV is comparatively low - see the [broken link removed] for further info/advice.)

mosquitoes

I was abroad earlier this year. Usually I come out in lumps when I'm bitten which I invariably am.

This year either I wasn't bitten or if I was I had no reaction to the bites.

In the evening I used a mossie spray I bought in Boots. I also took one Zirtek tablet each day. I'm told that these were only available on prescription until recently but are now available over the counter in a pharmacy. They cost just over €5 for 30 tablets and you take one a day starting a day or so before you leave.

Enjoy the break

Murt

I'll vouch for the Zirtek tablets, too. I don't usually suffer much from the mozzies — being a foul-breathed smoker! ;) — but my wife does, and she found them very good. Whatever about in Ireland, you can get them over the counter no problem in France and Spain.

"They cost just over €5 for 30 tablets"

Where did you get 30 Zirtek tablets for €5? :eek They're normally €5/€6 for 10. They're one of the stronger hayfever tablets and are therefore more expensive. Its normally something like Piriton that's 30 for €5 or less.

Yes Sueellen your right.

I went down to the chemist and checked. The €5 pack on display behind the counter only contains 7 tablets.

I got mine on prescription and there was a 30 day supply
in the box

Murt

Pity that. There's 2 of them here using them at different times and it sure adds up. :)

Re: mosquitoes & rubbing alcohol

Anyone know where I could get rubbing alcohol?

I tried in my local chemist down the country and they don't have it, but will be in the Dublin area over the weekend.

This is supposed to be excellent for repelling mosquitoes

Re: mosquitoes & rubbing alcohol

Anyone know where I could get rubbing alcohol? ...This is supposed to be excellent for repelling mosquitoes
I find it hard to get the little buggers to hold still long enough to rub the alcohol onto them?

mosquitoes & rubbing alcohol

Just back form Thailand found that the best things for mosquitoes were drinking tonic water and eating foods with garlic and chillies! Tiger balm which I bought in Bangkok was brilliant for the itching I think it's available in Boots chemist and would also try there for the rubbing alcohol.

Since the last post on this was nearly 3 years ago, has anything new come to the market?

Living in hope!

Bought 100% DEET pump spray bottles in the states (12 yrs ago )when i was heading to south America ,Venezuelan,columbian jungles ,found it great ,easy to apply to joints ,face etc a U.S military guy advised me to use it .

Back