Key Post: Holiday Alone

M

MissRibena

I feel like a right billy-no-mates with this post :( I really fancy a week in the sun - just chilling and catching up on my reading and going for walks either now or early Sept (can't cope with the white-hot heat in mid-summer). However, between exams, holiday restrictions, boyfriends, weddings and one thing or another I can't seem to find anyone to go too. Would I be mad to go alone? Would my being female making it even madder?

I've no problem travelling alone; have done plenty of it for business and pleasure but these trips have always been action-packed. I really enjoyed having the freedom to suit myself and was too busy to notice that I was alone. But sun holidays are different - on the one hand there's the vision of myself miserable in a grotty apartment at night with nowhere to go and on the other there's me who is delighted with my independence.

As usual, money is tight, so I was wondering about getting a last minute trip or just turning up at the airport.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience of holidaying alone and/or last-minute deals.

Thanks
Rebecca

Holiday Alone

If money is tight don't bother stay at home.

Re: Holiday Alone

Rebecca, personally I dont think it'll be the same going on hols alone. I can understand the independence side of it, but shouldn't it be a fun filled time , party on down and all that? I would take Tonys suggestion and find somewhere local for a long weekend and catch up on reading there or wait for someone to become available. There are a number of things to consider also if you are on your tod, personal security, timeshare people would might pounch with the wrong intentions etc. illness (food poisining or something like that) and not having someone to look after you?

A single female friend of mine went to Provincetown on Cape Cod (near Boston) which happens to be the gay holiday centre for the east coast. She found that allowed her to enjoy her solitude without being hit on by barflys all the time.

Tony,

If money is tight, don't bother, stay at home!

I stayed at home for the last few years and ended up paying more that I would if I had gone on a cheap package holiday.

ajapale

It's a great idea

MissRibena
Have done this myself - yoga holiday in Greece which was absolutely fantastic - very relaxing and chilled out but not the cheapest...
Couple of my mates have also used www.gohop.ie or www.ebookers to get last-minute packages to Lanzarote which is probably one of the nicest places to go it alone.

You can relax on the beach or by the pool all day and chill out in your hotel/apartment restaurant/bar in the early evening. The opportunity is there to meet people if you want, and if you don't, then bring plenty of good books!

Enjoy :)

Ajapale

That's it exactly - I love Ireland but it costs a fortune by comparison to the run-of-the-mill sun desinations. And then there's the sun issue! Also, I know this might sound like a bit of a contradiction and maybe it's because I do spread my wings around the country quite a bit anyway, but it never feels like a "proper holiday" in Ireland.

As for the personal security aspect; well I try not to let that worry me to the extent it stops me doing something I want to. I take the usual precautions. I'm sure if I considered every possibility, I'd probably never go anywhere. I manage ok when I tour around cities on my own and work never seem to volunteer to send a bodyguard with me on junkets. :)

Thanks for the CapeCod trip idea rainyday - it sounds just like what I'm after (apart from the gay bit and how far away it is).

Rebecca

Lisbon

Lisbon might be worth a shot as its only a short flight away and its got plenty to see as well as nice beachs only a 20 minute train drive away.Either stay in the city and visit the beaches in Cascais/Estoril or vice versa.I had a nice solo trip there a few years.
Estertit (north of Barcelona) is also a very relaxing place, no lager louts and very civilized.Lots of lovely restaurants and a great beach.Often good late deals available for there, we got 2 weeks for 299 there last year.

Re: spa break

Am going to Slovenia next week and have done a fair bit of research on it. It's reasonably cheap to get to as long as you don't mind a stop off in Stansted. We're planning on spending about 3 days in a thermal spa there but if I were going alone I would probably spend a week in one- they offer a huge variety of "wellness programmes" and seem very reasonably priced with lots of variety accommodation wise.

Rebecca

I considered going it alone once or twice, for the same reasons you give, but never got around to it in the end.

Having been on a few sun holidays with herself and/or mates, I ended up bottling the lone option. Mainly, felt that your average sightseeing and other holiday activities could be fairly bleak affairs unless you're sharing the experience (IMHO). Exotic castles and shark diving etc are well and good, but far better shared with your nearest and dearest.

Having said that, I did regret sticking around, or opting for the short country break. Not the same at all. If I had to make the choice again, I would not hesitate for the solo trip. Always fancied crossing the US on an Amtrak train!

M.

holiday

I travel alone a lot. Main gripe: all the last minute bargains are pps rates and if you are alone you end up either ineligible or else paying such a big single supplement that it's expensive. For a hassle free sun holiday, I often use club med. It looks more expensive than quoted rates for some packages but is genuinely all inclusive and you can do lots of activities and eat well, including wine or beer at meals. There is usually entertainment of some sort in evening, its not always my thing, but if I feel like staying out late I can and the atmosphere is pretty safe. Also sports lessons included free if you feel like being active, but no obligation if you feel like being a vegetable for the day. I have tried other packages but found myself at a loose end too much. BTW i think the travel companies are losing a big market by ignoring at best or abusing at worst the single customer. More people are single now and we are not all going to crawl under a rock every summer when holiday time comes around!

Re: holiday

Thanks everyone

Feeling way more positive now!! Thanks for all the great suggestions

Really like the idea of the Croatian spa holiday - have heard so many good reports about Croatia and the spa bit would make it a real treat. Would you have any particular websites/ contact no.s that would you found helpful?

Lisbon and Barcelona have been on my must-see list for ages. Combining them with the beach is a fantastic idea.

I'm going to check out the ClubMed bit too; I don't know very much about them at all. Sounds like it could be up my alley too. Bought the tshirt, did you find that there many other single people there when you arrived?

So many holidays, so few days off !!

Re: holiday

I'm open to correction but I think there's a European football competition in Portugal this summer so prices might be high. Lisbon sounds good though...

Apparently the same thing has happened in Greece for the Olympics.

Sluice

Some other posts

smree
Holiday Alone

Hi

I'm thinking of heading off on holiday alone this year and would welcome any suggestions on good/safe/reasonably priced places to go

Thanks

daltonr

Depends on what you're into.

Are you a sun lover? Don't care if there's nothing to see/do as long as there's a beach?

Are you into Museums, Galleries, Monuments etc?

Are you into City life, theaters, shopping?

I spent a month travelling down the East coast of the States on a train on my own, it was fantastic. Of course back I managed to get a ticket that gave me unlimited travel for about $200, no sure if you can do the same today. Last year it cost me almost as much just to get from DC to NYC and back.

The East Coast is good if you hit Boston, New York, DC and Florida. You'll get a bit of everything.

-Rd

Laoise
holidays

You can do the same sort of train holiday in Europe with an Interrail ticket (you don't have to be a student anymore). Great freedom when you're holidaying alone and you can have the best of all worlds - spend some time in a city of your choice & then go on to a beach location for a few days to recover & then .....
Have many happy memories of Interrailling as a student !

Try the Lonely PLanet web page for some great ideas on places to go

Bon Voyage

Laoise

N0elC
Frequent poster
Re: holidays

Try Explore Worldwide or Exodus for small group travel. I went to Cuba with Explore last year, which was excellent, and about half the group of 14 were travelling alone.

mudahawn
travel companion

I am male, in my early fifties. retired, I like to travel far and wide. Only trouble is its not much fun on your own,I would like to contact potential travel partner, female or male apart from here where do I start to look?.replies please from potential companions or with any info that might help, eg.sites etc.

MissRibena
Frequent poster
Companions

Hi mudahawn

There was an organisation on Marian Finucane a couple of months back that matched people up on the basis of where they wanted to go and when etc from a database. They had a website and I've googled for it but can't find it. I checked Marian's webpage too but nothing doing. Maybe someone esle heard it and could pass on the info?

Good luck
Rebecca

cobalt
Frequent poster
organisation

The group on [broken link removed] (see halfway down page) was People Alone Travelling Together (PATT)
Contact Details for The P.A.T.T. (People Alone Travelling Together) Club
Phone: 0818 303132 / 074 9124905
email: [email protected]
[broken link removed] (available after 01 July, 04)

But the website doesn't seem to be live yet.

mudahawn
Re: travel companion

Thank you both I found the club you mentioned, thank you both. Its address is [broken link removed] its good but its commercial, I was hoping for something more casual, and thought I might get a reply from a kindred spirit. thanks again I am still hoping.

cardigan
Thorntree

Hi Mudahawn

Try postin on thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ for someone with the same interests, this is a brilliant site and constantly has people looking for travelling companions...you never know.

HI guys if any of you are or anyone else is still looking for travel companions I am planning to take a career break at some stage this year and looking to possibly find a kindred spirit so to speak. I am male and 29 and I dont mind if you're male or female. Things on my to do list possibly include cruising the atlantic, trans siberian express, travelling around the USA and Europe (again! haha)

Well if anyone is interested drop me a line though I of course I would want to get to know you first obviously and online to begin with,

C

Hi Rebecca
I have two good friends who are independent travellers.

One is a married mother of 2 - she and her husband go on separate holidays each year for a week ... he goes to the jazz festival or hill walking and she goes to connemara.

Another friend of mine is in her 60s and has recently separated from her partner .... and found a whole new lease of life. She went to sweeden last year on her holidays and met interesting people and saw interesting things. This year she's going on a cruise to the artic circle ...

I would say go for it ... if there is somewhere you've always wanted to go, then go. A word of caution would be to avoid north Africa/Turkey as a solo female.

Good luck and happy hols.

PS: The holiday world show is on at the end of Jan ... it might be worth a look.

This thread started mid 2004, I presume the OP has probably circled the world 50 times by now!

Hi MissRibena,

like you I have done action packed travelling on my own which was fine, but its a little bit different if its just a relaxing sun holiday.

Last summer I had booked 5 days away, and at the last minute my friend couldnt go, so I went alone. I was fine with it, but there were a couple of downsides:
- people I'd meet, making a big thing of it - e.g. saying "you're here on your OWN" in a disbelieving tone!
- when relaxing happily in the hotel by the pool on my own with a glass of wine in hand, other single people seemed to think they had free licence to come over and chat lengthily / drag their loungers over to sunbathe with me, etc, just because I was on my own!
- felt a big awkward in restaurants which were full of groups of holoday makers.

Having said that, I'm delighted I went - the freedom to do what you want, when you want is great! I'll definitely do it again this summer if I fancy a few days away, and no-one is available.
I'd say book a nice hotel if you can (like a spa) so you feel a bit pampered, and therefore enjoy the time more.

If you do want company, there are lots of groups that organise holidays for singletons. Or lots of solo travellers go on sport holidays with Nielsson, Mark Warner etc.

Hope you enjoy the hols anyway!

Back