Secondary school teaching:can't seem to get a job as a sub, even for a day.Any advice

dweller

Hi there,
can't seem to get a job as a sub, even for a day.Any advice? Only have a degree by the way, no hdip.
Dweller

Re: secondary school teaching

dweller said:
Only have a degree by the way, no hdip.
That there might be your problem. There are lots of qualified teachers available for subbing. What are your degree subjects?

Instead of starting a new thread, I will ask here, as my situation is similar. I have a degree in Maths, but didn't get a place to do the Hdip, (my degree is not from Ireland, although I have a Msc from UCC), and I've been told to do some sub to get experience and get some points before applying again. Where should I look? Thanks.

Write to all the schools you could reach by 9am and outline your availability and experience. I can't see that working long term though. Eventually you will probably displaced by qualified teachers. Does it have to be teaching hours in a secondary school to count for points? Or could you use teaching hours in primary school/evening class.

Have you considered giving Maths grinds to make ends meet?
If you declared and documented this income maybe it would count as teaching hours?

Have you requested that your course be considered for eligibility?

My course was recognised to access the Hdip, but because grading is so different in my home country, didn't reach the minimum, was short of a point!!!! (and I have a 1st Honours in my MSC here). And yes, it has to be secondary school teaching, I did some tutoring while studying but they won't take it into account. I might try again next year, but it's difficult to get the experience when in a FT job.

Contact schools directly. Outside of Dubin, there is a lot of subbing available - at a good hourly rate.

I think it is €37.50 unqualified.

Hi there,
I live in Kerry.My subjects are biology and science.I've applied for the hdip alright but I know I won't get it.By the way they do take hours clocked up in primary schools as teaching hours for the hdip.I rang them and asked them, so that's a fact.All I need is a start, a bit of experience , and I would feel more confident.At the moment the whole thing seems a bit daunting but I know if I just got in the door I'd be ok.By the way can anyone tell me why teachers seem so stuck up or do they have to be like that.

Have you tried the local Vocational Schools? (name might have changed) I was on a list with them once and eventually 10 months later got a phone call asking if I would step in and run a course. I told him I was 8 months pregnant, but he still insisted! I did refuse quite adamantly in the end. Anyway, always put yourself on a list!

[.By the way can anyone tell me why teachers seem so stuck up or do they have to be like that.[/quote]

Ha ha !!! remember that generailised statements are generally wrong!! and not all of us are "stuck up" but yes .... some are ....but let me stress again....NOT ALL....

Advice here to all wanting to teach ...don't do it! The pay is crap, the work is hard and everyone thinks you've great holidays! Nobody thinks of the endless correcting and planning of classes. I'm serious. Im never in bed early and that's not because I'm crap it'c because you have to plan for each individual group -individually all the time!

The three best things about teaching:

JUNE
JULY and
AUGUST ....

worst thing is the money! but if you love children ...then go for it ...after that everything is easy !

Judybaby73 said:
Advice here to all wanting to teach ...don't do it! The pay is crap, the work is hard and everyone thinks you've great holidays! Nobody thinks of the endless correcting and planning of classes. I'm serious. Im never in bed early and that's not because I'm crap it'c because you have to plan for each individual group -individually all the time!

worst thing is the money!

ummm.....you must be in your first year. Generally teachers use the same notes year in year out and have classes planned the same way year on year. You seem to be talking jibberish.
And if the worst thing is the money can you tell me what teachers actually get paid per hour?...I have a feeling your views may be a bit bias...

The teachers at my kids school don't seem to spend much time correcting homework at all - they hardly ever take the books in! Is that normal practice in many schools. They might get a few kids to read out their answers and then take the books in once a half term!!

irishlinks said:
The teachers at my kids school don't seem to spend much time correcting homework at all - they hardly ever take the books in! Is that normal practice in many schools. They might get a few kids to read out their answers and then take the books in once a half term!!

Or of course the old favourite, get the kids to correct each others homework!

killeoin said:
ummm.....you must be in your first year. Generally teachers use the same notes year in year out and have classes planned the same way year on year. You seem to be talking jibberish.
And if the worst thing is the money can you tell me what teachers actually get paid per hour?...I have a feeling your views may be a bit bias...

Me in my first year of teaching? I qualified in 1994! While some notes/overheads etc can be used year in year out others can't. It is fundamental that lession plans meet the needs of each group you have. Groups, abilities and individual needs vary for heavens sake. Surely you can understand that. It isn't as easy as taking your folder out everyday and filling them with info. I have to stress that the traditional method of curriculum implemtation is (galdly) gone! NO longer are our students passively sitting in classes. We now encourage them to engage in hueristic learning. (that means discovery)
All classes should meet the groups individualised needs! Therefore we no longer have one edcuational diet to be administered to the students in the fastest possible way. All student of all abilities must be accepted,welcomed and valued and in order to do this class...notes...overheads...assignments etc CONSTANTLY need updating....if you don't do this then its not the child-centred approach which the department of ed and science now advocate.

I spend hours working with and on behalf of my students. Alot of which is in my own time. I don't mind because I get outstanding results. I am not bias but I do think that the money is pathetic for teachers like me who work damn hard and get superb results! Bring back the payment by results i say (JOKING before Im slated!)

Teachers get paid something like 27euro ph. I'm on a salary and earned something like 36K basic last year! (That's point 6 of the scale, its also brought up by 5k as I have a PhD)

I wasn't talking "jibberish" and am praying that you ARE NOT a teacher because if you are then I would have question the quality of your teaching if you are "recycling notes year in year out!

As Pat Conroy the great American writer stated:

"Once can do anything ...anything at all if provided with a passionate and gifted teacher"

If I was working in the private sector with my qualifications I 'd be getting triple what I earn in teaching. Yup I choose this route and the reason I'm still in it is because I know I make a difference (however corny it sounds) and the holidays actually suit me.

What comes to mind however is "If you pay peanuts your get monkeys"!!!

(Obviously not me of course!)

If every one of the professions (and other workers too) got into a rant about how hard they work then AAM would be swamped with wingers. You would think that teachers have a monoploy in the hard work department and are poorly paid. If you could get three times your present salary in the private sector then you are silly for not doing so. The reality is that you probably couldn't. Sorry but teachers do not get my sympathy. You do have potential to earn extra with grinds, exam correcting etc. Secondly you did make a choice to become one and I am sure you knew of it's pros & cons.

Gel

gel said:
If every one of the professions (and other workers too) got into a rant about how hard they work then AAM would be swamped with whingers. You would think that teachers have a monoply in the hard work department and are poorly paid. If you could get three times your present salary in the private sector then you are silly for not doing so. The reality is that you probably couldn't. Sorry but teachers do not get my sympathy. You do have potential to earn extra with grinds, exam correcting etc. Secondly you did make a choice to become one and I am sure you knew of it's pros & cons.

Gel

It wasn't a rant....maybe you need a good teacher to explain what I've just said!

...and/or correct your spelling and punctuation mistakes? There's quite 'alot' of them! ;)

Re: Secondary school teaching

Judybaby73, I thought that secondary teachers did about 18 hours a week plus prep work 33 weeks a year. Are you saying that there is 20 hours plus prep work a week? Even if there should be, are you suggesting that the average teacher does this? I fully accept that the best teachers do this and more but your unions are against rewarding those who work hard so that cannot be taken into account when teachers’ pay is assessed.
18 hours a week 33 weeks a year is about 600 hours a year or just over 15 39-hour weeks. That's about €2'300 per week for each standard week worked. Not bad.

Re: Secondary school teaching

DrMoriarty

Look at Judybaby73’s post above and you will see that she has many more spelling mistakes than I. I can only assume that she is does not teach English.
Maybe she is the one that needs a good teacher. You did pick on me unfairly because there are other posts here which do not qualify for your high standards of prose.

In fairness to her I do see where she is coming from. She is obviously someone who puts the effort into her work and takes pride in it. I wish she was teaching my children. My point in return is that no matter what profession you are in you need to work hard to succeed. Teaching is no different. Other workers in my opinion work longer hours and don’t have the luxury of the long holidays. On a general note non teachers in my opinion do not seem to complain as much as teachers.

Gel

ps how many spelling mistakes did I have?

Back