Decent budget camcorder for €100?

toby2111

Thinking of getting girlfriend a handy compact camcorder for Xmas.My budget is €100.I spotted the Kodak ZI8 on pixmania,50% off-

Know nothing about camcorders so dont know if this is a good deal.Has anyone any suggestions?Cheers

It looks fine to me although I'd be more like to buy it from Amazon. You'll need to get some memory for it also. Amazon have it here with an 8GB SD card & USB reader for £90 sterling delivered. Good reviews too.

Cheers michaelb-Why would you prefer to buy from Amazon?Also,excuse my ignorance but what is a USB reader?And do I have to get one if I get this camcorder?Thanks

Amazon are very reliable. I've seen mixed reviews of Pixmania. You don't need the USB reader but it might be handy. it only costs £2, just happens to be part of the £90 camera/memory bundle on the page I linked to.

Yeh,bought stuff from amazon before,very reliable.Never used Pixmania.That deal on Amazon works out at £105 because of P&P on other 2 items.Is it still a good deal?

So did I derek,but only gives free shipping on the Kodak iz8,charges for the other 2 items.

The USB reader is what is causing the delivery charge. If you just add the Kodak Zi8 & the 8GB Sandisk SD as individual items to your basket the delivery will be free.

Cheers michael-I can get an 8gb card and card reader for under €15 on ebay,delivered from Dublin so I might buy them there and get the iz8 on Amazon.Just interested to hear if anyone here has experience of it?Or is there a better alternative out there for the price?

A collegue of mine was recommened to buy a FLIP camcorder by a friend of hers who has one and says they're great. I'm thinking of getting one myself, currys have them
[broken link removed] Would be interested to hear if anyone else has used one?

Looks pretty decent also.I wonder which has the better spec for non-professionals like us?!!

Both will be simple to use. I bought a Flip (non-HD) last year. I'm sorry now I didn't go for a HD model. I was picking between a Kodak and a Flip. Both are good choices.

Googled a quick comparison and kodak seems to shade it slightly though both seem good value.Is it easy to upload video clips onto facebook or youtube with the Kodak?

I have a Flip HD and love it. Very simple to use. Very simple to upload. Very handy...if you want to capture something that is happening on the spur of the moment it only takes literally seconds to turn on and shoot.

Hey
I have the zi8 and had tried out the flip beforehand the quality is far better on the zi8 one thing though I would advise going for a bigger sd card (16gb) and go for extra batteries (I got some of ebay) the original battery is ok enough but doesn't last very long

I've it narrowed down to the zi8,the Flip or the Creative Vado HD.All 3 seem good value,quality products.I'm leaning towards the zi8 but some reviews say it is not great in low light conditions?
Schmile-what's your opinion?Is it poor quality when used at night or in dark conditions?Thanks

I've it narrowed down to the zi8,the Flip or the Creative Vado HD.All 3 seem good value,quality products.I'm leaning towards the zi8 but some reviews say it is not great in low light conditions?
Schmile-what's your opinion?Is it poor quality when used at night or in dark conditions?Thanks

True the quality is grainy if you use it at night and personally I wouldn't recommend it if you do plan on doing a lot of night videos/ videos of gigs or concerts etc. However, I found the flip is the same. In the end the main functions of both these are meant to be for video blogging/ youtube/ short videos so you have to take that into account when it comes to the kind of quality that you expect. For actual quality and not those other videos advertising them check out this a video I made. It is terribly shaky it was my first time and I didn't realise how careful you have to be with cameras like that but you can see the video quality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZmY-5KIGw)
All this aside it is a great start of camcorder. If you want something more you will unfortunately be paying more too.

Thanks schmile-nice video clip,quality is actually quite good but it is very shaky.I guess all similar priced camcorders are the same but.So I take it,you have used both the zi8 and the flip and would prefer the zi8?

Thanks schmile-nice video clip,quality is actually quite good but it is very shaky.I guess all similar priced camcorders are the same but.So I take it,you have used both the zi8 and the flip and would prefer the zi8?

Yep the zi8 is better. Both are really shaky they are meant for video blogging more than running around taking videos. They are ok with small tripods like those hand held ones that you get really cheap.

Back