Ratemysolicitor has zero credibility, discuss.

You could follow it up on ratemysolicitor.

I question the authenticity of some of the ratings though.

To be fair, I would not rely on ratemysolicitor.ie for anything, including the time of day!

mf

To be fair, I would not rely on ratemysolicitor.ie for anything, including the time of day!

mf

Surely if people were writing incorrect statements on that website the Solicitors would have them in court immediately??

"Surely if people were writing incorrect statements on that website the Solicitors would have them in court immediately?? "

I believe somebody did - in their previous incarnation. But mostly, anyone with a modicum of basic common sense, would make their own mind up based on the comments posted. And could anyone really be bothered suing them?

mf

Well people must have some gripe if they're writing negative comments about certain solicitors. They'd hardly just make up the stuff for no reason.

From a recent ( very funny) post from nuac:

"A tip for practitioners - if someone arrives in your waiting room without an appointment with a big bag full of documents including correspondence copied to the President of Ireland, the Pope etc - be careful."

"Well people must have some gripe if they're writing negative comments about certain solicitors. They'd hardly just make up the stuff for no reason."

I suspect that there are some very well grounded gripes. The problem is that on that website they are so swamped with ridiculous, paranoid, self absorbed twaddle and stuff, they get completely lost.

mf

Well people must have some gripe if they're writing negative comments about certain solicitors. They'd hardly just make up the stuff for no reason.

I never took that website too seriously but a few years ago a so called "celebrity" solicitor had his own staff writing up compliments about him on that site (I knew someone who worked there) and since then I would pay very little attention to anything written - either good or bad.

Um, yes they would. To be honest I don't think anyone needs to argue against the legitimacy of ratemysolicitor - if you read the site you will see that the comments are made up of some genuine people (prob about 40%) some people with personal grudges (prob another 40%) and some people with mental health issues. Not being smart - have a look and you'll see what I mean.

Seeing as we do not have an ombudsman to deal with complaints about the legal profession then people need rate your solicitor to express their views. Some will say that we do have a way of making complaints about mbrs of the legal profession i.e. through the law society. Self Regulation does not work.

Rate your solicitor may be the first step in a long process to get independent regulation of the legal profession established in this country. And who knows, with all the talk of reinventing the political system maybe we might not have to wait that long.

Some time back I accidently stumbled into this site and as a test I looked up comments on a solicitor I knew but had to dealings with. I found the negative comments to be consistent with my view of the man personally, and as such the comments seemed reasonable. Only a single example, but like all negative comments, some are indeed accurate.

It may be that there are some accurate comments, but I think the site is a disgrace. There are some horrendous comments on there about people I know, which are simply untrue. Some of it is crazy.

Actually, I've changed my mind. It's a great idea. I'm going to start a new website - rateyourpublicservant.com !!! Genius!!

How about a slew of them?

Rateyourfinancialadvisor.com

Rateyourestateagent.com

- and last but definitely not least

Rateyourbanker.com

ONQ.

If you want a good solicitor you have to pay for it. Like any profession they vary in ability. Some got a pass degree and some got a first.

If you want a good solicitor you have to pay for it. Like any profession they vary in ability. Some got a pass degree and some got a first.

And how might a person know whether they're dealing with, say, Alan Shore from Boston Legal as distinct from some ambulance-chasing loser with a good line in BS?

Rate your solicitor may be the first step in a long process to get independent regulation of the legal profession established in this country.
I certainly hope not. More money wasted on an ombudsman or quango.
I thought with the IMF those days would be over.

And how might a person know whether they're dealing with, say, Alan Shore from Boston Legal as distinct from some ambulance-chasing loser with a good line in BS?

I was only speaking in general terms. Trusting someone to deal with an important legal matter can be a nightmare of course if that person is not up to the job. I found the most highly recommended solicitors usually arent that cheap.

Re: Legal Services Ombudsman

For those that are interested in the job, the closing date for applications for the is 9th December 2010.

From reading the information booklet it's only a three day a week job with pay scale to match.

Back