What will become Unfashionable in a recession

Welfarite

Now that we are told that we are in a recession, I got to thinking about how unfashionable some things might become when listening to the fees debate* on the radio. Off the top of my head, here's a starting list:

Organic food
Flipping property
Pet Insurance
Dog Grooming
Foreign workers
Free education
SUVs
Cosmetic Surgery
Shopping trips in the US

Any more out there?!?!

* Moderator's note: I have split off into a separate thread an interesting discussion that arose here about the question of reimposing third-level fees based on parental income.
DrMoriarty

Children part entertainers
Domestic Help
Paying to get your lawn cut,cars washed,shirts ironed
Deli sandwiches and coffees
Wine Bars
Having your hen/stag night abroad.

fake tans
gel nails
diet supplements
home exercise equipment
giant screen tvs in the home
designer clothes/accessories
over inflated house prices

Speeding (fuel too expensive)
SUVs (deserve a second mention)
Relatively low taxes
Unions

I think organic food might catch on more as people grow their own fruit and veg.

Au Pairs.
Golfing weekends in Spain.
Holiday homes in Eastern Europe.
Going into job interview and demanding a particular salary.
Decking.
Propane barbeques.
Shoe box apartments in dodgy areas.
M&S food.
Health spas.
Gym memberships.

Hmmmm....unfortunately moaning about what other people spend their money on will remain a national pastime........;) :D

Removing graffiti. My local council has recently stopped doing this.
Repairing roads.
Planting flowers.
Free tap water (not in restaurants, it will become fashionable there).

Well personally what i gave up at last wedding, was getting hair done in a hairdresser, bought rollers and did it myself for 2euros a pack of rollers...didn my own makeup, borrowed a dress from a different circle of friends, so i in all i hope that FAKENESS becomes unfashionable, i hope the label pressure on some will stop and i hope that the next generation will value and be more appreciative of what they have and will know they have to earn what they get!! :D

In the eyes of the law, parents have no responsibilty for their children once they reach 18 years of age - and also children have no responsibility for their parents. They are independent legal entities with no legal obligation or interdependence on each other.

It is not permissible to assess a benefit on one independent adult based on the income of the other legally independent adult.

This area of law was trashed out in an Ombudsmans report in the mid to late 1990s looking at assessing family incomes for elderly parents in nursing homes - was the genesis of the arguments which led to the abolishment of such fees and the current repayment scheme scandal and also (though never admitted by Government, who used it for political gain) led to the abolishment of third level fees.

I dont see how maintenance grants could possibly be based on parents income - there is no legal basis for this. I suspect there is an element of "try it on" with the local authorities (?) who administer these grants and that anyone who ever complains does not get assessed. I smell another "nursing home repayment" scandal here and IMHO, any public service officials who are adminstering the scheme in the knowledge that it is illegal should be fired.

Jeez, folks, this was a STB topic! Keep it light! don't want it moved into LOS!

Well personally what i gave up at last wedding, was getting hair done in a hairdresser, bought rollers and did it myself for 2euros a pack of rollers...didn my own makeup, borrowed a dress from a different circle of friends ....

So...tell us, how many times have you been married and how often will you get married in the recession? :D

Last edited:
Back to the topic raised by OP -
Tvs in every room of house
Elaborate decking
Hiring a venue for a childrens party for a "football party" or a "princess party", etc.

Back