Estates in Malahide

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

witchymand

Houses in Malahide?

I saw an advert in a newspaper for houses in Waterside, on the Swords road, Malahide.
Does anyone know what these houses are like, as I am looking to move over that side of the city, but would really appreciate any advice.
Is the area nice, and is it central to buses and dart?
Thanks

On foot........closer to Swords (10 mins) than Malahide (60 mins)

At launch from €345k, and I believe the price went up post launch. Last week they were from €299k, last weekend they were from €320k, last night they had no price on display.

Beware!!! Developers taking the micky again!!!

Also, note they are timber frame and appear to be the fastest development I've ever seen built!

Negotiate hard!!!

these houses are miles from anywhere and RIGHT BESIDE the m1.

not worth it.

Houses in Malahide!

I live further up from where Waterside is but to be honest I would agree it is closer to Swords than Malahide really - What amazes me is the price tag they have put on the timber boxes >" three-bedroom semis of just over 93 sq m (1,000 sq ft) Approx 345 Four-bedroom semis €489,000 for 112 sq m (1,200 sq ft)
four-bedroom detached houses of 112 sq m (1,200 sq ft), priced from €570,000." Irish Times Article

Sizewise these are lousy compared the older houses elsewhere 1000sq ft is a very small house these days I would have thought?

And Approx 550 will be built - Very Built up Estate

@ those prices you could buy a far bigger price elsewhere around Swords or even nearer Malahide

Waterside

Just came across Waterside in the local freesheet again.

Swords, Road Malahide - in your dreams Cannon Kirk!!!
Malahide Road, Swords - maybe!

By the way not a drop of water in sight!!!
Should be called M1side by my reckoning!

Love the [broken link removed] on their [broken link removed]
"Map shown is not to scale" - I actually agree with this statement!

Thinking of moving to seabury in malahide 520 for 3 bed semi detached, the asking prices start around 475 then reach 520ish rapidly, what are peoples opinions on this area and on this price ?

Re: Seabury Malahide

Hi antimonarch,

Moved in in Jul/August. Don't regret it at all. Nice area, nice neighbours, no trouble at all since we moved in. The only thing I would say is that there are a lot of cars on the go through and around the estate, we bought in a cul-de-sac, which I would recommend.

Transport is good, you've the dart in malahide, with feeder buses every 20 minutes from Seabury into malahide and on to Sutton I think. Not so reliable in the evening however. Also darts not all we hoped for, can be up to 40 minutes between darts after 7 or 8 pm.

42 is good, about half of them go through estate. Bizarrely, the 42 N is the best bus, all of them go through estate and they are every half hour at night.

Close to pavillions in Swords (11pm Dunnes and Superquinn), Airside, Clarehall 24hr Tesco, Coolock etc.

There is seaburyestate dot com discussion board, there is mention of "youths" hanging around, abusing people, and more recently smashing car windows. We haven't experienced any of these problems ourselves, and although it had me somewhat concerned initially I don't think it is anything to worry about. The posters on the site seem involved and seem to be interested in the upkeep of the area at least which is good.

BTW The window smashers were caught, which kind of sums up that a) the gardai are willing to get involved, and b) the residents are willing to muck in. I remember having over €1,000 euro damage done to my car before (in the city), and although the guards knew who probably did it, they weren't able or willing to check into it further without witnesses.

There are houses with garages, and some without, but not much price difference. Some also go further back than others, and some have been extended. Again, not generally reflected in the pricing.

House prices : at 520, we'd probably buy here again, but its a very personal decision. There are other houses available just down the road, e.g. in Swords, which have pretty much all the same amenities, but are cheaper. We bought here because a) it will hopefully resist falling off in value; b) transport links into city and heading North; c) reasonably mature estate, "seems like a nice area".

If it helps, we reckoned that the extra cost of buying where we bought was well worth it considering the additional benefits.

Bootdog

cheers bootdog

got sale agreed and will be moving in hopefully in january, checked out the seabury web sites didn't think much of them they seem to be more of an outlet for negative comments from people from adjoining areas who d'ont like seabury infringing on their plush old homes. if they were trying to buy these days they probarbly couldn't afford seabury.

i hope i can get used to the traffic but from what ive heard its worth it for the quality of life.

any tips for beating the rush hour would be appreciated

well thanks a lot for responding its good to know you are enjoying the area

anti

Well, working 8 to 4.30 helps a lot if thats an option.

Traffic starts to build up if you're on the road after 7.15, depends where you're heading to really. The only other tip to beat the traffic is get the dart!

The traffic has improved around Malahide since they finished the work on the Yellow Walls Road, which started when we moved in and lasted until late October.

There will be more DART services from December 11. See [broken link removed] for details, or check the timetable searching from December 11.

Seems to be a lot of hoddies and anti-social behaviour around the local shopping centre, so I wouldn't buy too close to it.

Not a bad area but not great either, nearly every house has two cars, lots of cars in and around each road, so parking can be a problem.
Traffic into Swords and Malahide at weekends is a laugh, and the main Malahide Road in the mornings and evenings is much the same.
When the new development at the Northern Fringe is complete the traffic situation in Malahide will worsen. Not to mention the main Swords Malahide Road is over subscribed due to the amount of developments, which have been thrown up.

Apart from what people think Malahide has some troubled areas, firstly, its near Kinseally which is going downhill fast and plenty of folk from Darndale and Coolock travel into Malahide at the weekends.

A good deal of youths travel into Malahide at the weekends from the surrounding areas, so check with the Gardai Station on the trouble spots. I know parts of Seabury are rough and other parts very quite. But the area around the shops (Centra) and the local park across from it seems to be the worst.

The pubs are OK but the eateries are over priced (like the property) and bland.
But on the plus side you have the Estuary , the Marina and the seaviews.

hi 90210

thanks for your comments even if they are too late as i have sale agreed, i don't think a few teenagers outside a centra would of deterred me anyway, are you from the southside by any chance as that was a fairly broad swipping attack on the whole of the northside.

I am a Northside resident and have been all my life, very pround of it too. But i always lived within the City limits. I must admit though , County Dublin and the Fingal area does nothing for me , but each to their own.
Good luck with the house purchase and enjoy Malahide.

Good Luck on the house purchase Anti-Monarch, you will love Malahide

I have friends living in Malahide and Seabury for years and they love it
They will be quite surprised to hear they are living in a rough area:confused:
which is not reflected in the house prices

The resident assoc in the area have been trying to develop a leisure centre for the local bored teenagers for a long time.

A quick look at 90210's previous postings show he/she lives in an appartment in Swords:rolleyes: . City Limits my eye:D

Firstly I moved last year from the Uk with work and wanted to live around the Malahide/ sowrds area, and after all the reserach decided to buy a 3 bed town house on Waterside (oh my gosh someone who actually lives on there!!!).

Anyway they may well be overpriced but I bought mine for €349K, and in the last 11 months not a single one has resold - the last one to sell via developer sold for €410K - that was some 8 monthws ago.

Yes it is close to the M1 and the new link road - thats a selling point - if you live in one of the houses you dont see the M1 - Swords is closer than Malahide but then again Malahide is nice but people on hear who think you can buy a bigger place nearer Malahide for less are living in cloud cookoo land - I would say a 4 be semi in Malahide is £800K+ Gainsbourogh off swords road further down 4 be semi selling for €700K+.

The fact is Swords is up and coming but there are some horrible areas in swords this is away from swords and close to Malahide. The Pavilion Shopping center is having 200 Million spent on it and a 10 screen cinema and bowling ally will be there soon. Longer term we have the metro coming into swords.

R+Thous of us who actually bother spending timemin the area know Swords is much more buzzing than Malahide on evening with the new restuarants and pubs coming up everywhere.

The Swords or Malahide debate has gone on for too long - the fact it wherever it is - it says Malahide on my address, on my house deeds and my children can go to school in Malahide as we live in the catchment area for Malahide schools - end of!

By the way it is called waterside - because the middle of the estate will have a full lenght water rill which will be seen from the main entrance and strech all the way to the back. If you by a house nearest to the road like we have or one of the front aparatments then you will also have a full estuary view.

I know from when i was looking value for money like for like - there was no comparison - all appliance sna dfully tiled and much better quality than alot of the house around here.

Timber frame construction is the latest builidng phenominon - and the houses are very very economical to heat etc - all new houses in dublkin are being built in the same way even the ones on Chamley park and robs wall which are well over 1 million pounds. So dont listen to some old fashioned stuck in the 80s kiddo - move with the times and I would recommednnw aterside - 3 bed duplex are great as they have an extra room - all sold out/

Last edited by a moderator:
New2Dublin said:
Timber frame construction is the latest builidng phenominon - and the houses are very very economical to heat etc -
I agree 100% with this statement but as a developer I am still building in block because it seems to be what the buyer wants and I am not prepared to put my money wher my mouth is.

I'm sorry my friend but I still stand by my statements that Waterside is NOT in Malahide - no matter what your post code or cachement area. Nor for that matter is Seabury technically, but that's a debate for a whole other day!

I'm surprised you would be prepared to have your children commute to Malahide though when there are a number of very good schools within walking distance.

New2dublin- What will be your local national school- Do you know if Waterside falls into Yellow Walls parish?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back