Key Post Dublin City Council area household refuse collection options - discussion

ClubMan

Great work altogether (and you can give me a lesson on tables)

I rang Panda and they are not taking on new customers in South Dublin or Dublin City for the "foreseeable future"

They very helpfully suggested

Access 4500830
Ozo 6160610
and Greenstar (which you have listed)

Thanks - I have updated the table with the latest details. We can clean up the thread (e.g. delete some of the above posts) if/when needed. The situation with regard to what options are available to people in different areas is very unclear - e.g. some or all operators may have suspended signing up DCC customers until certain issues surrounding awarding of the DCC contract to Greyhound are cleared up? Is one of the operators challenging this in court? Could there be an injunction pending?

Great work altogether (and you can give me a lesson on tables)
I read your tutorial in the mods forum before I did this! :)

Oxigen.ie, who service parts of the North East & Midlands are advertising a new service for Dublin City.

http://www.oxigen.ie/dublin-wheel-bin-collections-dublin-city-area

Thanks - I've added Oxigen.

Any others?
Any corrections?
Any clarification of the issues/questions that I have flagged?
Anybody any experience with any of these service providers?

Anybody any experience with any of these service providers?

We changed to Access and have found them to be efficient. They are a family run organisation who have been in the business for a long time.

I do still feel as I said here already:

"I could be totally wrong but I get the impression that this is a tough business to be in these days. People are economising so much that quite a lot do not put their bins out very often. If not enough people do so then the companies will find it hard to stay in business".

I don't have much to add except that I switched to Citybin when Greyhound introduced their charge in the SDCC area, and I find them good.

I've only just switched to Oxigen after my previous service provider failed to collect the bin on two occasions, and then introduced a service charge on top of their pay-per-use fee.

I'm on a pay as you use option with Oxigen.

I'll let you know how I get on after I leave out my first bin in the next couple of weeks.

(I am outside the Dublin area though so my experience may be different to other users).

"I could be totally wrong but I get the impression that this is a tough business to be in these days. People are economising so much that quite a lot do not put their bins out very often. If not enough people do so then the companies will find it hard to stay in business".
Well business is going to be tough if an operator unilaterally decides not to take on new customers as Access and a few others seem to have done!

We switched from DCC to Thorntons in October last year, so far so fine. The black and brown bins are put out on the same day and there are two separate trucks for them. The green bin is 'free'. You top up online. They give you bag to line your brown bin too which is great as they can get very smelly without something lining them. They are picky about your bins in a way that DCC never was, they do check what's in them. I saw a neighbour arguing with the guys about his green bin a couple of weeks ago, they were leaving his bin for some reason but he went out to them and they took it. think it might have been a bit overstuffed (they state you have to have the lid closed).

M

Another option would be to bring bagged domestic waste to one of the two dublin city council recycling centres, €4 / 80 litre bag.

[broken link removed]

Thanks ClubMan, this is a mess in my area.

Do Oxigen collect in Dublin?
http://www.oxigen.ie/areas-covered

Also, the leaflet pictured on their front page suggests they may not offer Brown Bin collection?
It's not clear to me what areas they cover.
And it's not clear from some of the providers' info what size and types of bins they provide.
I'm hoping that things will get clearer soon especially if others can contribute info etc.

Thorntons according to a phonce call to them the other day , are not taking on any new clients in the old DCC catchment area as they are currently consolidating their current business

Emailed Oxigen earlier this week regards switching to them ,
(i live in Santry)
and here is reply..
..."We are in the process of rolling out the service across many parts of
Dublin and we expect to be in your area within the next 1 to 2 weeks."..

so hopefully they will come to Santry soon.

Thanks for the recent posts which I have used to update the key post. Keep the comments coming.

Would there be a problem with sharing a bin with your neighbour and sharing the cost?

A few weeks ago i changed my bin to a 140l with Thorntons, and because of the smaller bin, the levy went down to 25 euro a year. The GF rang this week to do her bin and the girl at thorntons said it was 50 euro a year levy, and she'd never heard of the 25 euro a year levy!

Would there be a problem with sharing a bin with your neighbour and sharing the cost?

- No - as long as you get on well with your neighbour. I'd imagine in time that the providers will add to terms and conditions saying if caught sharing bin with another householder they can cancel your service but dont let that stop you now.

Private companies are only interested in one thing - profit.

Back