zinc roof

P

phaictan

We are building a new house in Leitrim and using zinc for roofing material. It's an expensive choice so we want to be sure that we are using the best suppliers - esp someone that will be in business given today's economy.

We have had quotes from most of the key players and are now considering 2 companies in west Let it Rain and GG Roofing. Anyone had experience of working with either of these companies and general experience of using zinc for private homes?

Also if there are any other recommendations please let me know. All info will be greatly appreciated. PT

We are building a new house in Leitrim and using zinc for roofing material. It's an expensive choice so we want to be sure that we are using the best suppliers - esp someone that will be in business given today's economy.

We have had quotes from most of the key players and are now considering 2 companies in west Let it Rain and GG Roofing. Anyone had experience of working with either of these companies and general experience of using zinc for private homes?

Also if there are any other recommendations please let me know. All info will be greatly appreciated. PT

I have not used zinc as a roofing material.

As a quick comment I'd be concerned that the build up should
1) reduce noise e.g. from rain
2) provide adequate thermal insulation and at the same
3) time avoid interstitial condensation.

Metal sheets can be very noisy if impacted.
Metal can be totally impervious if the seams are correctly laid out and fashioned.
The ease with which it can be formed is offset against impact and wear resistance.
Great care is necessary in terms of timing arrivals and storage on site or it will be irreparably marked. Ensure your main contractor knows what is required.

The impermeability of the finish means that there are no second chances in relation to adequate ventilation.
For example, you cannot install a permeable membrane below a metal roof with any degree of success as far as I am aware.
Ventilation must be provided since as a metal it will attract moisture to itself - the roof build up and/or ventilation has to be correctly detailed to avoid this.

There are some odd-looking details going around the web for zinc roofs.
These should be assessed by a design professional experienced in metal roofs.
I'd recommend looking at existing work carried out by your prospective roofing sub-contractor.
It should be work that is similar in size and scale to your own and in a house as opposed to a public building. Compare oranges and oranges.

You're not self-builders by any chance, are you?

HTH

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

I got my kitcken roof replaced with a zinc one. Used http://boylecopper.com/

To answer ONQ's questions:

There is no noise from rain apart from on the velux.
There is a foot plus of rockwool above the ceiling.
It does need to be well ventilated below the roof etc, see the VM Zinc website for tech details.

We've built several buildings - houses, commercial, etc, with standing-seam roofs, and there is no problem with:
1) reduce noise e.g. from rain
2) provide adequate thermal insulation and at the same
3) time avoid interstitial condensation.

Because the roof was fitted to our Structural Insulated Panels. A further advantage is the fact that our panels are considerably easier (and thus cheaper) to clad, than any conventional roof scenario, whilst addressing the 3 points, above.

Can I say I've looked at several of the studies available for download.

One detail seems consistent.
zinc sheeting
on a timber substrate
on a ventilated void
on insulation

ONQ.

Back