Your opinions on Madrid for a short holiday in February?

PM1234

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Madrid for a short holiday in February. I'm not a new visitor to Spain but it will be my first time in Madrid. Not hugely interested in spending all my time in museums. Has anyone been and what would they recommend doing? Where do posters think are the places I should visit? Is February the wrong time of year to go?

Thanks

I would not consider Madrid in February as its very cold at that time but maybe you don't find that a problem. We were there in September and loved it. Yes there are lots of museums and galleries which we visited but if that is not your choice and you have not said what your interests are it's a bit difficult to make suggestions.
We stayed at the Carlton Hotel, (lovely hotel and reasonable) very convenient to all transport

It'll be very cold at night in Madrid in Feb.

If you're not into museums, maybe go there for Easter instead when there are lots of street processions which are very interesting to see.
Around Plaza Santa Anna there are a lot of lovely tapas bar which are lively til late at the weekend. The shopping in Madrid is pretty good too.

Thanks for your replies. I intend going to some museums but I was hoping not to spend all my time in them just to avoid bad weather :)

As it will be a short visit, are there any other 'must sees' (weather permitting)?

Thanks

You can do a tour of the city on Segways which looked like a bit of fun. The architecture in and around the city is amazing. Theres also a city bus tour if your feet are tired.
The Grand Palace is worth a look around too - don't miss the armoury!

I went there in Feb 07 and the weather was fine.

Get a Madrid Card. This gives you free access to lots of facilities. It may seem dear, but the free access is worth it's weight. (Barcelona card only gives you a 10 - 20% discount on access to most things.) Card also gives you express access to many high demand facilities - like Prado and Royal Palace

You can also get a tourist travel card which is quite cheap. We got them but found that we didn't use it to the extent that we thought (central hotel and walked to most places, due to fine weather).

No frontiers did a feature on Madrid a short while ago. Take a look at the link below. Unfortunately, you'll have to bear Brendan Courtney for 8 or 9 minutes but it might provide some good ideas.

been to Madrid twice - both time with work. I didn't get to see much, but what I saw I really liked. Very beautiful city. A friend of mine is just back from Madrid last week and he really enjoyed it.

[broken link removed]

If you have even the slightest interest in football, then try to get in a match in the Bernabeu to see Real Madrid. It's a great experience.

I was in Madrid in March (for St Patricks day) and it was hot enough to get very sunburnt during the day. Got a bit cooler a night but still didn't need a coat.

I wasn't too interested in museums either. I did the bus tour (hop on hop off type thing) which is always a good way of seeing the main sights. Madrid was mainly about the food & drink for me - so much of it and so cheap!

went same time a few years ago, it will be cold at night, definetly go to a madrid match depending on who they are playing tickets can be bought at ticket office at ground the day before,way cheaper than buying from agents, musems and sights are city breaks, zoo is very big if you into it, madrid has loads of good resturants everyone eats late there, loads of police around so feels safe, seen brendan courtney piece on madrid, clothes shopping that was it, a few days is enough in madrid

Back