Young Limerick rugby supporters in boiler suits

oldtimer

As it was a lovely spring afternoon took myself off for a walk and accidentally came across a schools rugby match. Seemed important as there was a large crowd there. Noticed one of the schools had a considerable number of supporters dressed in white boiler suits i.e. the type worn by detectives at serious crime scenes. Anyway, I asked one of them who was playing. ''We are playing the wankers'' was the answer. I then asked what was the score. Another boiler suit youth answered '' If you could f****** count you wouldn't have to bother us.'' A third boiler suit youth, who was a cheerleader with a loudspeaker, came over to me and roared something into my face. Couldn't make out what he said but they all laughed. Time for me to make hasty retreat. As I left met a friend. Asked him who was playing and where were the boiler suit supporters from. He said it was a major schools rugby game between Glenstal Abbey and Crescent Comprehensive Limerick. The Boiler suit supporters were with Crescent. Thought struck me does the school allow them out dressed like this? Are they sending some kind of message? The Glenstal supporters wore distinctive red jackets. Don't know who won the game - hope it was Glenstal.

The behaviour was one thing, but should it matter whta they were wearing, they were just adding colour to a match.

Did they have bowler hats on as well?

Could have been from clockwork orange

It's common practice for schools rugby cup matches, not just in Munster.

You could have seen the same attire in Donnybrook in the 1980s, though not the behaviour, of course ;) !

''Your first mistake was being in Limerick.'' In fact the game was played at Tipperary. Just heard Glenstal won - delighted.

''Your first mistake was being in Limerick.'' In fact the game was played at Tipperary. Just heard Glenstal won - delighted.

Nice, I'm sure the actual players who put in the effort on the pitch would like the fact that you base your support on who you talk to rather than what you see on the pitch.

I think their behaviour was absolutely disgraceful and a pity you didn't report it to their headmaster. They could do with learning some manners and should be banned from supporting their team until they do so.

Back