Yard brush woes

oysterman

I reckon I buy a new one of these every year because the head detaches from the pole and I nail it back on (repeatedly) and finally the pole splits.

I was brushing the back yard yesterday with the head of last year's brush (the pole having long since bitten the dust) when I got a splinter in my hand.

This got me to thinking - is there a one-piece brush on the market or even one with a pole that is genuinely attached. If so, where could I get one? (South Dublin but would travel for the right brush....)

I have to agree, the standard of yard brushes has really gone down. Screw or no screw, the dont last too long. If you find a good one, let me know.

The next time you see the corpo man sweeping the streets, have a good look at his brush - I think it has a sort of a metal A frame going up the handle.

jasconius,

I think you're on to something....

Mrs. O mentioned my woes to her father this evening and he reckons your approach is the solution - he's planning to sort it with a bit of DIY....

But I can't believe that it should require reconstructive surgery.

I am going to go on a yard brush hunt and shall let you know if I have any success.

buy a brush with the aluminium clamp. if it starts to come loose just tighten the wing nut. you can also put a screw into the handle from the underside of the brush(through the bristles. try a 3mm screw and use a screw gun.

The metal frame option is the best- I've seen wide sweeping brushes with such a frame. As a DIY solution you could strengthen the ex. brush head by screwing a 6x3" block of 3/4" ply to the head, boring out the ply to match the diameter of the handle. Skew fix a screw through the ply and into the handle (drill a small pilot hole first). The deeper socket should help to keep the head on longer.

Find out which one Trigger in Only Fools and Horses used as he used the same one for 20 years although he had to change the head 17 times and the handle 14 times!

Had same issue last time handle came of I used a strong wood clue never looked back since

Carpenter said:
The metal frame option is the best- I've seen wide sweeping brushes with such a frame. As a DIY solution you could strengthen the ex. brush head by screwing a 6x3" block of 3/4" ply to the head, boring out the ply to match the diameter of the handle. Skew fix a screw through the ply and into the handle (drill a small pilot hole first). The deeper socket should help to keep the head on longer.
Now that's the sort of advice I feared!

..... Didn't Denizl in Only fools & Horses have the same brush for a good number of years... he only changed the head four times and the handle twice!!!

Back