xl.com refund query

KatieC

We were to travel to santorini with XL Leisure group on tues 16 sept and I have just printed the refund form off www.aviationreg.ie for the flight and accommodation, but since I paid for this holiday with visa card, I wondered if it would be better to claim from my credit card company instead.

Any thoughts folks?

We were to travel to santorini with XL Leisure group on tues 16 sept and I have just printed the refund form off www.aviationreg.ie for the flight and accommodation, but since I paid for this holiday with visa card, I wondered if it would be better to claim from my credit card company instead.

Any thoughts folks?

Hi KatieC,
We are in a similar situation to you. We were on holidays when XL went bust
and we had to make our own way back. However, we used our Visa card to
make the payments so we don't know who to try and claim from.

We can't try to claim from both as they both require the original documentation of which there is only one copy.

I've tried ringing Visa and the Aviation Reg but they both said the same thing,
basically "send in your details and documents and we'll assess your claim" no
guarantees or anymore info.

Have you decided what your going to do? Or have you done it already?

Would appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks for reply. I contacted the visa company and they suggested that I claim from the aviation reg first and if I do not get a refund there, I then should contact themselves. The most important thing to remember then is that you have only 60 days from the DATE OF PAYMENT from visa card to claim. I paid for holiday on 14 Aug so I only have until mid Oct to claim.
I sent my paperwork with original paid invoice for holiday to aviation reg by reg mail on 17 Sept and haven't heard a word since.

Anyone else have imput?

since I paid for this holiday with visa card, I wondered if it would be better to claim from my credit card company instead.
Probably simpler and maybe quicker. You were not provided with the service purchased so the card provider should refund you.

Hi Katie C
There's about a 6 week waiting list for refunds from aviation reg. If you go to their website there's a FAQ section for XL which opens in a pdf. Hope this is of use to you.

Hi Katie C
There's about a 6 week waiting list for refunds from aviation reg. If you go to their website there's a FAQ section for XL which opens in a pdf. Hope this is of use to you.

So it appears if there is a problem with your refund from the aviation regulator it may be too late to claim from your credit card company under the 60 day rule.

So it appears if there is a problem with your refund from the aviation regulator it may be too late to claim from your credit card company under the 60 day rule.

Exactly! I have contacted Visa again and explained that I have had no reply from aviation regulator. Since I am on day 48 of my 60 day deadline with Visa, they now want me to fax to their chargeback dept - a copy of my claim for refund to AvReg plus copy of reg mail receipt and copy of paid invoice to xl. The original cc payment has now been logged as disputed.

I will keep this updated and would appreciate any further advice

Exactly! I have contacted Visa again and explained that I have had no reply from aviation regulator. Since I am on day 48 of my 60 day deadline with Visa, they now want me to fax to their chargeback dept - a copy of my claim for refund to AvReg plus copy of reg mail receipt and copy of paid invoice to xl. The original cc payment has now been logged as disputed.

I will keep this updated and would appreciate any further advice

Hi KatieC,
I've done things the other way around, I sent all my documents to the Visa
chargeback department including the visa statements which show when the
payment went out. It was a lot longer than 60 days ago though, so I don't
what they'll do. I sent them a letter asking to send back my documents if
my claim is unsuccessful. If that happens I'll send a claim into the aviation
reg. That's pretty much all I can do.

Thanks for the update. Hope you have some joy with your claim.

Hi KatieC,
I sent them a letter asking to send back my documents if
my claim is unsuccessful. If that happens I'll send a claim into the aviation
reg. That's pretty much all I can do.

Thanks for the update. Hope you have some joy with your claim.

Visa asked me to send claim to aviation reg first, probably hoping that I would get refund there instead of from themselves.

Very important to remember that there is a 60 day deadline for making claims from aviation reg also. Why not make a claim using copies of paperwork and advise them that originals will be available later.

Just had the full value of payment for the holiday refunded back into my Visa card. I had reported it as a disputed payment. So alls well that ends well! Hope anybody else in the same situation has the same result.

Hi KatieC,
Glad to hear you got a full refund. I did as you suggested and sent in a claim to
both the aviation reg and also Visa. Visa sent me back a letter telling me to try
the aviation reg first and if unsuccessful to contact them again.

So fingers crossed, hopefully I won't be out of pocket.

Was your refund from the aviation reg or from Visa?

Nacho

Just an update for anyone who may have sent in a claim for a refund.

I received a full refund in the form of a cheque from the Aviation Regulator
last week. :)

Back