X10 and home Automation

barry75

Hi All

Has anyone X10 installed in there home,i have read a little about this system where you can control your lights and heating over the whole house while lying in your bed!!Is it easy to install?We are in the middle of a self build at the moment.Going to Run Cat 5e cabling around the house for home networking.Anybody have any other ideas for home automation before the walls get plastered?
Any suggestions please:)

Hi Barry,

I have X10 installed in my home for the last 5 years now, and works great. I have all lights and security x10 enabled, including the central heating.

Very good system, but as you said there are lots of options when going for automation, from professional level systems like CBUS etc (which are pricy and need seperate wiring infrastructure), to the more diy based systems like x10 (does not need seperate wiring infrastrucutre) and more recent systems like Z wave etc (wireless based system, also does not need additional wiring).

I find X10 to be very good, as I installed it from new build and over 5 years ago, some things havr changed for the better since mine went in. The newer modules can be fitted directly behind an existing light switch, which means there is absolutely no change in standard wiring to a normal house. I used the older modules which work from the fuseboard, so my wiring was don e differently.

Z wave seems very good, but is newer and less variation of modules are about for European electrical standards, so might not give you everything you want at the moment.

No matter what system you go for (and I personally think X10 is excellent), the two most important things you consider are:-

1) Controller. How good your controller is pretty much what will dictate how good your overall system is and how reliable and flexible it is.

2) Sensors. It is all very well to be able to turn on lights etc automatically, but tyo automate it, you have to plan how sensors etc are to be layed out. I use PIR's mainly to activate my lights as you enter the room and exit, but I did miss out some sensors that I should have put in. Door sensors on internal doors important in my opinion, especially on bathroom doors etc. If you wnat more info, I will go into more detail, but I have a habit of ranting so I wont.

I will give an overview of what my system will do:-

1) All lights are automated. If it is dark, the lights will activate when you walk into a room. They will turn off automatically once they have sensed no motion for a certain period of timed
2) Heating is automated. I can create schedules for my heating, hork it off a thermostat, based on whether the house, or portion of the house is occupied or not.
3) I have dial in access to my entire system, where I can activate any light or device, more importantly the heating (great for those evenings on the way home in winter).
4) I can control any device, including heating etc via the internet. Set up schedules, timed events etc. (works but still improving on this one)
5) I can control any device, including the heating via my tv remote control on a customised channel on the TV. I can turn on/off heating, activate lighting scenes etc without getting off my chair (how lazy am I!!)
5) When I leave the house and activate the house alarm, all lights and audio/video equipment is automattically turned off. If the house is un occupied at nigh, the security system will randommly activate lights etc.
6) My wife has a keyfob on her car key. When she arives home late she can have all the main living area lights on in the house before she even gets inside the door.
7) An X10 alarm clock on my bedside locker has buttons on it to activate certain house functions. At night time I press one button, and the house goes into "night mode", where all lights are turned off, all tv's, sky etc are turned off, and the alarm is activated.
8) When I (or one of the kids) go wandering at night, the lights in the hall etc come on and turn off themselves when motion is sensed etc.

With a sonos system www.sonos.com I can have whole house audio announcements when certain things happen, eg phone rings, email arrives, news headlines when I wake up in the morning. This is a work in progress though, along with voice control etc.

A couple of websites that are worth visiting:

www.letsautomate.com
www.laser.co.uk
www.sonos.com
www.csi3.com

Happy reading, let me know if you need any more info.

Regards,
Eamon

Wexfordman, Did you do all the installation yourself and how much did it cost to purchase all the necessary kit? I am thinking of putting this in but am wondering if it is wireless or hardwired. I will be building a house from concrete blocks (both internally and externally) as well as a hollowcore concrete ceiling.

Hi Eamon

Excellent Post,I will def be putting in X10 installed in the house,sounds great the many thinks you are able to control in your house.Is it alll possible to do by DIY?
I will have a look at those websites now,thanks again for your help

Barry

Fistly with regards installation, i am not an electrician, so any mains wiring for my new build was done by a qualified electrican (who had no experience fo x10).

As I said, I have my house built 5 years now and there are newer and updated automation devices about now a days. X10 have brought out newer modules that are so small they fit behind a standard light switch, so there is absolutely no rewiring required when you use these devices. They are also designed to retrofit into existing house wiring. If you can change a plug, then you can fit one of these in about 10 mins. Downside, is the newer modules are a bit more pricy, about 60 quid each, compared to 25 quid for the older ones, but I would go for the newer ones if I had the choice again.

So, the answer is, yes most of the install I did myself, x10 is a diy technology. My alarm system is an x10 compatible system, which I installed my self and is an important element of the whole system (its called a comfort system by cytechnologies). In addition to this I have a seperate standalone X10 controller called homevision, which monitors and controls all sensors and X10 devices in conjunction with the alarm system.
If you are up to wiring a few pir's and door sensors, then you will have no problems. Configuring the software for the controllers is also not at all dificult, particularly with the homevision unit.

Breakdown of my system and rough costs are as follows (bear in mind the controller is the most important and most expensive single bit of kit).

1) Comfort alarm system about 1000 euros for hardware
2) Homevision contorller, about 750 euros for hardware and software
3) X10 devices about 40 of them at a cost of 35 euros, but newer modules are recommended and so more expensive (about 70 euros i think)
4) Bedside x10 alarm clock 40 euros each

You are probably looking at about 5k nowadays for the above hardware, but that is including a very good alarm system.

If you are considering doing this, here is my advice:-

1) Plan it well in advance
2) Do not skimp on controllers. This is what makes or breaks your system. The homevision controller is what i would recommend with regards functionality and reliabiltiy (sitting in a cupboard in my house for 5 years now happy out!!)
3) If you need to spare a few bucks to start off with, just leave out a few modules and add them in later when you can afford it.
4) Plan also for good audio and video distribution for the house.
5) Put lots of cat5 around your house
6) If you can put in some cable ducts and cable runs so you can add more later. (this will cost you nothing)

Thats about it before I rant on too much. Let me know if you need any more info. Pasted below are links to the specific hardware I would recommend, but do some research and shop around

Homevision controller (reduced to about 600 euros at the mo)
[broken link removed]?

Professional Homevision controller (Newer fancier model, worth considering and also reduced at the moment

[broken link removed]?

Comfort x10 security system. You will need as a minimum the main unit plus one keypad. Purchase sirens, batteries and sensors locally. Software and rs232 interface are recommended also for programming, although pricey for what they are.
[broken link removed]&

X10 modules. These are the devices you fit behind each light switch you want to control. They are dimmable also, 60 euros each approx
[broken link removed]?

There are also other x10 devices to controll aplliances (these will require neutral and live connection) which are direct swaps for existing switches etc.

Have a look at the above devices, and let me know if you need any more info. I have given a basic overview, and there are other things that you will need to be aware of with regards x10 etc. Some things like compatibility:-

1) Some x10 devices will not work with energy saving bulbs
2) x10 can be prone to noise on your electiral line introduced by electronic filters (I have one of these transmirmers and modules will not work near it).

Happy reading,

Regards,
Eamon

Wexfordman, Wexfordman where art thou?

Meeting the electrician in 2 weeks time. It is a new build, intrigued by the x10 and feel I don't need to mention this to the sparky as I will put them in myself. Will be putting in plenty of cat5 and video cable. You have me sold on the Sono (and have sold the same to Mrs Guzzler) but where or how are the sensors put in.
You mentioned on some other post how vital it is to get their positioning right, where and how many a room? I guess they are wired back to the homevision controller, yes?

Thanks
guzzler

I dabbled a little in X10 by buying a "starter kit" from these folks:

www.intellihome.be

Worth checking that site too in case they work out cheaper (e.g. they have free shipping for orders over €150)

Hi Hazard, welcome to AAM. In accordance with the [broken link removed], could you clarify if you have any interest in the above company?
Thanks,
Leo

Back