wt allowance us internal flights

niall_C

Hi guys,
On a round the worl trip where i am allowed 2 cases each weighing 23kg so 46 kg in total. I am stopping off in USA for a week and will be getting a couple of internal flights. Are they 20kg like over here or is there one airline especially who give bigger allowances? I will be flying between LA, San fran and Las Vegas.
Cheers
niall

Internal US airlines allow baggage according to the 2-piece rule the same as your RTW ticket so you should be fine. (This applies to the major US airlines anyway - not sure about the low costs like Southwest/Frontier etc. - I'd assume it's the same with them but check their websites)

Essentially on flights you are either limited by total baggage weight (which is the general restriction outside the Americas - 20/23kg economy class / 30kg business / 40kg first) or by the number of pieces (which is the general restriction on flights within and to/from the Americas - you're allowed 2 pieces) ... If you've got a paper ticket (or even on your eticket) it should say something like 20K if you're weight limited or 2PC if you're piece limited.

There's some historical reason for why there are the two different systems that I forget ... It's worth nothing that this is all changing a bit now as more airlines are trying to make money on checked baggage so the rules aren't as generally applicable as they used to be.

Back