Would You Go To See The Pope in Ireland?

Not relegious at all but would not go to see current pope.

If it was the previous pope i would go to see him as i seen him in st peters square about a year before he died.

This seems to be one of those threads which pop up periodically for those who are anti Catholic Church to vent their spleen. I think it's safe to say that not many non-Catholics (or non-practicing Catholics) would have an interest in going to see the Pope.

I think I would have an interest in seeing what the occassion was like, I definitely couldn't see any logical reason for objecting to him visiting our country as it is considered an honour.

This seems to be one of those threads which pop up periodically for those who are anti Catholic Church to vent their spleen.

I don't think that the question is directed at those who are either anti or pro Catholic Church and I most certainly don't see much room for 'venting anyone's spleen' as you've put it. It's a simple yes or no question.

As someone who was dragged as a 6 year old the last time, yeah I probably would go. It's one of those seminal moments 'where were you..'. As I happened to be in A&E last Saturday when Ireland won the Grand Slam and happened to be in hospital Sunday/Monday, it's amazing how relevant religion becomes to you at these times.

I don't think that the question is directed at those who are either anti or pro Catholic Church and I most certainly don't see much room for 'venting anyone's spleen' as you've put it. It's a simple yes or no question.

Correct Yachtie. I'm just interested to know what percentage of people would/would not go to see him. I personally wouldn't go to see him as I see him as an increasing irrelevance in today's world. (I couldn't even remember his name when I made the original post. :eek: ) No disrespect intended. This certainly isn't meant to give an opportunity to anti-Catholics to vent their feelings and, fair play, posters haven't done so. :)

The last pope came to see me in Dame St in 1979 and I would expect nothing less from the present one.

Not a chance.

Surely a lot of people who went to see the last fella would be dead now so this man wouldn't have as big a turnout (although I haven't a clue how many people went to see the last one as I was only 1 or 2).

No i wouldn't but not for anti-catholic reasons. If John Paul II was still the pope or if i was an adult when he came i would have gone, as far as i know he was considered to be very progressive but this fella seems to be stuck in the dark ages. Condoms are a bad idea in a country being destroyed by aids? what a load of nonsense, how anyone can still argue with contraception is beyond me and that would be reason enough for me to boycott any visit he would make.

Last edited:
Thats gas - I was left at home and I wanted to go!

I went to see JP2 in Galway as a wee nipper in 1979. I ate way too many queen cakes when the adults weren't looking and I was very very ill. My parents weren't too impressed with me but JP2 loved me !!

No, I would not go. I'd give him a cup-o-tea if he called to my door though.

Yes. The question begs a simple yes or no. I didn't suggest that the 'question' was directed ant any specific group. The thread has attracted a modicum of bile if not some vented spleen, but hey, this is LOS.
Correct Yachtie. I'm just interested to know what percentage of people would/would not go to see him.
Well it might be a straw poll of AAM members but they're mostly enlightened liberals ;) so hardly a representative group.

The last pope came to see me in Dame St in 1979 and I would expect nothing less from the present one.

Whoa! how did that happen? I vaguely remember being slightly peeved that he was able to fly off and give more Mass around the Country after the Phoenix Park as merely being in the crown wrecked me!! didn't know he was doing personal appearances!

Er last Pope progressive? are u having a laugh?.He "anointed"/let it be known that the rottweiller was his choice to succeed him as he was of a similar ideological persuasion,ie anything but progressive.
Current "infallible" incites hatred re homosexuality,Islam etc-I wouldn't p*ss on him if he was on fire.
Sorry if that's a rant.
PS Like Bill Shankly's quote re bottom of garden & drawing curtains-hadn't heard that before.

Er last Pope progressive? are u having a laugh?.He "anointed"/let it be known that the rottweiller was his choice to succeed him as he was of a similar ideological persuasion,ie anything but progressive.
Current "infallible" incites hatred re homosexuality,Islam etc-I wouldn't p*ss on him if he was on fire.
Sorry if that's a rant.
PS Like Bill Shankly's quote re bottom of garden & drawing curtains-hadn't heard that before.

I think they dropped the infallible tag in 1968? I believe that to be true because a teacher we had in Primary who was fond of drink would slur something like "If the Pope isn't infallable any more how can I be" as one of the pets tried pointing the text book in the correct reading position for her on the occasional hazy afternoon.

Yes, I would go and see him.

As for his position on AIDs, condoms are not the solution. Anyhow I assume that Africans can decide for themselves whether they want to use condoms or not. They don't need the permission of The Pope or anyone else for that matter.

Back