Would it be prudent to introduce National Service for our School-Leavers?

Leper

Some threads on this forum have caught my eye e.g Are Pay Schools Worth the Money? Our Neutrality, Lenient Judicial System, Mountains from Molehills etc. Our defence forces are under staffed but still have a lot to offer. Is it time to introduce National Service (say 2 years) for all people on reaching 18 years and leaving secondary school?

Some threads on this forum have caught my eye e.g Are Pay Schools Worth the Money? Our Neutrality, Lenient Judicial System, Mountains from Molehills etc. Our defence forces are under staffed but still have a lot to offer. Is it time to introduce National Service (say 2 years) for all people on reaching 18 years and leaving secondary school?
I'd like to see a proper Army and Navy first. When there are 15,000 in the Army and 5000 in the Navy and we have a functioning Air Corp with the capability to deploy our own troops then have a discussion about national service.

From a societal perspective I think teaching a proper civics curriculum in school would be more useful. Teaching degenerates how to fight and use firearms doesn't strike me as a good thing.

Last edited:
Hmm,, not sure teaching teenagers how to kill people would actually improve things.

Most of them would then be 25 by the time they complete the now obligatory masters since a basic degree is no longer enough. (or so they believe)

I read a semi serious tweet suggesting a sort of service should be brought in, perhaps as part of transition year (or in UK it was gap year)... a mandatory role dealing with people e.g. retail

It might give a different perspective, on the other hand it might lead to even worse service for the rest of us!

Most of them would then be 25 by the time they complete the now obligatory masters since a basic degree is no longer enough. (or so they believe)
We take on graduates every year and see few applicants with masters.

@Purple, While things remain as they are we're never going to see a "proper" army or navy. There are too many "Irish" issues in both which will have to be resolved first. But, both services have some serious problems.
@thedayyman. (a) Not only do the services train people to kill people they train people in how to defend themselves. Our services could take a page from the Israeli services i.e kill or be killed.
(b) Sorry to hear that a 3rd Level basic degree is hardly worth the paper it's written on. Furthermore, I think Transition Year (TY) is a bit of a joke for most students (known as a doss year amongst the braindead) - there's a legitimate case for its culling. I have my doubts of giving a masters degree to anybody who never survived outside the education system - perhaps an age limit of 30 could be introduced before a masters degree is applicable.
@odyssey06. I cannot disagree with your suggestion. It's a good suggestion.
@Leo. I don't know who "we" are, but perhaps there's a reason why Masters Degrees graduates are giving you a bit of a miss.

All-in-All, I would support the idea of introducing National Service for 2 years.

@Leo. I don't know who "we" are, but perhaps there's a reason why Masters Degrees graduates are giving you a bit of a miss.
Yeah, who would want to work in a company that has won numerous awards for their graduate intake program and is regularly to the fore in the best place to work surveys? Or perhaps it's because we're an IT company and IT degree courses actually set graduates up for a decent career where there is plenty of employment?

The numbers completing masters degrees doesn't seem to support the theory at all. An overall increase would be expected, in 2015 we ranked 23rd of EU countries for numbers of working adults with master's level education, but in the last couple of years numbers have remained pretty flat.

Last edited:
TY is down to the school, my eldest went through it last year and it was brilliant for her and her classmates but the school really makes the effort in terms of work experience and other areas. She actually did a module of a 1st year undergrad course as part of it and going into the Uni on her own, once a week was a great experience. However from talking to other parents around the country, it is very hit and miss.

Back