Worst Journeys

Firefly

As a kinda opposite thread to best hol ever....what are people's worst trips? My own was a bus from Boston to Buffalo a few years ago. There was no-one next to me and I thought I'd get a nice sleep only for the doors to open just before we pull off and this ENORMOUS dude gets on a sits down next to me...his flab is on my lap and I'm wedged up against the window for the next 12 hours. Back in complete spasm when we got there!!!

Flew from Phuket, Thailand to LHR with Phuket Air.
I just googled to check was it Air Phuket or Phuket Air and found a brief description of our hellish journey on wikipedia:

"April 2005 - on a fuelling stop for a Bangkok-London flight, passengers urged a Phuket Air 747 to abandon take off from Sharjah International Airport in the United Arab Emirates because they saw fuel leaking from a wing. The airline said the fuel tank had been overfilled and insisted there was no danger. However, passengers refused to fly and another plane was ordered from Bangkok, but it was delayed at Sharjah for nearly 11 hours because of further technical trouble. The incident also caused delays for Phuket Air's return flights from London's Gatwick Airport and prompted the United Kingdom's Department for Transport to place the airline on a blacklist. France also later put a ban on the airline.[1]"

So in total about 26 hours in the desert, in a dry country (so couldn't even turn to drink!) with water and some stale sandwiches to tidy us over. Thankfully the British Embassy got involved or God knows how long we would have been stuck there.

Phuket Air is no more funnily enough.

Hired two fishermen in a very small boat to take us across the Dragon's Mouth (Boca del Dragón) - between Trinidad and Venezuela .convinced two Germans ,a Spanish guy , a French guy,to share the fee and join us (two Irish guys) we left at about 5 am and the water was like glass and we all thought it was going to be a lovely trip ,never new the strait was called the dragons mouth ! we had no life jackets,the out board engine failed in a massive swell and the boat was overloaded with backpacks , everyone except the fisherman was puking constantly he just kept smiling except when he couldn't restart the engine,eventually got it going and arrived in port of Spain hours later, customs held us for 5 hours in the sun and wouldn't let the French guy enter as his passport was soaked ,eventually we all got in haggard and battered ! was most scariest trip ever on !

Easy to answer. Aer Lingus flight from LA to Dublin. Conor (or Damien as I like to call him) the child from hell behind me.

Flight was full, not a spare seat to be had. Boarded to see a cute looking 9 (?) year old and his Dad behind me, no problem she thinks, he's old enough to behave. Ahhhhhh....such innocence.

Conor must have had ADD or something as he kicked my seat, pulled my hear, shouted and screamed for over 10 hours. His parents were taking turns with him but they were not the type to threaten or discipline their child "that's not a good idea Conor" instead of "stop that or else". He finally fell asleep about 2 hours out of Dublin (no chance I could have slept through the torture) and the WOKE HIM UP after 20 minutes as breakfast was being served :mad: . Time for me to explode at the Dad.

We had tried negotiating with the parents, speaking to the flight attendants all night but they claimed there was nothing they could do, nowhere to move to....and I've never flown Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic again. We got more sympathy from our fellow passengers than the crew.

Since then we fly US-based airlines when we go to the States and not a bad story to tell (touch wood).

Worst journey - traveling in a 'taxi' from East cambodia to west. Taxi is a normal car in which the driver proceeds to fit seven other people as well as himself. Two on each front chair and four on the back. Our previous journeys had been in the back on trucks (this is the public transport). We really needed to get to the west part that day so we put up with it. The journey was 14 hours long. We had a crazy driver who hit two dogs - fairly sure he killed one, sprunk a leak from the oil sump along the way which was repaired with chewing gum and cigarettes and just when we thought things couldn't get any worst had a puncture and then discovered the spare was also flat.

My friend and i were miserable and physically ill when we eventually got to our destination. Really upset over the 'dead' dog. We had gone traveling prepared to put up with a lot and rough it a bit - just as well weren't too many days like that.

I've no exotic tales but I do remember one particulalry short but awful bus journey from Cork city to Youghal in pre-Celtic tiger days (sometime around 1990/ 91). Myself and a mate were soaked boarding this boneshaker of a bus, which was full of Spanish exchange students. The (Bus Eireann) driver was an ignoramus, coughing and spluttering for the entire journey, at one point he had a thunderous sneeze and (quite literally) covered the windscreen in snot- it was disgusting! He then produced a grimy "rag" (his handerchief) in an effort to clear the glass! What the exchange students thought I'd love to know!

A work trip from Dublin to Oslo booked by a secretary who thought she was spending her own money – trip was supposed to be Dublin – Amsterdam – Oslo. However we missed the connection in Amsterdam and had to buy SAS tickets to complete the journey. Taxi from Oslo airport to city centre over 150 euro, had to stop twice for cash. Arrived after midnight.

Meeting Friday. Flying out Saturday morning.

Discover el cheapo secretary had booked flight from Torp Airport not Oslo international. Up at 3am to get train through lovely picturesque scenery (snow, log cabins) all the time thinking of how to kill secretary. Arrive at small village where train terminates. Small minibus there awaiting train with handwritten sign ‘airport bus’. At this stage, wary of everything, we asked if this was the airport bus. No was the reply. Flag down passing motorist and bribe him to go to airport. Airport teeny little place. Plane to Amsterdam seated around 20 and we had to be de-iced on the way out. Scary. Myself and colleague had medicinal brandy.

Arriving at work on Monday, upbraided secretary.

At that stage, had colleague who went to UK most weekends. Happened to have some sterling coins which I gave to him. Unfortunately also got mixed up with some Norwegian coins. Colleague used one in error on M25 and brought the whole place to a standstill.

I’ve never had a desire to see Oslo since.

Two hour shore trip off boat on Yangtze River to see Three Gorges Dam - planned to meet boat at other side of locks.

Departed at 7 pm but boat was delayed going through locks so left on the quay side until 5 am the following morning. Worst thing apart from not knowing what time the boat would get through was that the locals knew this would happen to us and were fully prepared with dodgy food stalls.

see river
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cn1202-03.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangtze_River
see dam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Gorges_Dam

Most arduous journey was World Cup 1990:
  • Departed Friday evening
  • train from Connolly Station to Rosslare
  • ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg
  • train from Cherbourg to Paris
  • train from Paris to Rome
  • train from Rome back north to Civitavecchia
  • ferry from Civitavecchia to Sardinia (Olbia)
  • train from Olbia to Cagliari
  • Arrived Monday around noon, went to the England game that evening then
  • back on the ferry from Cagliari to Sicily (Trapani)
  • train from Trapani to Palermo
  • and eventually found a campsite outside Palermo (Sferracavallo) on the Tuesday evening and collapsed!
Over the course of the next few weeks with various stops along the way
  • Palermo to Genoa via Rome
  • Genoa to Rome
  • Rome to Nice
  • Nice to Lyon
  • Lyon to Paris
  • Paris to Rouen
  • Rouen to Caen
  • Caen to Cherbourg
  • Cherbourg to Rosslare
  • Rosslare to Dublin
Arduous but great craic! Thank goodness for Interrail passes (even if we bunked on the TGV when we weren't supposed to ;)).

BA flight from hong kong to heathrow : plane was like a furnace & the staff were awful. Landed in heathrow to more of the same arrogant staff. will never fly BA again - always have problems with them

Limo ride from Burlington to Jurys. Driver had the most terrible accent. What a mare of a trip.

While crossing Lake Titicaca from Amantani island to Puno the boat ran out of fuel and the boatman decided to prime the pump by pouring petrol from a large drum directly into it. Of course, the fuel splashed on the hot engine and the boat went on fire. The local Indian women on the boat were trapped in the cabin by the flames and (amazingly) the few tourists just froze, as if hypnotized by the fire. I wouldn’t regard myself as a hero (I just have a healthy fear of drowning) but I dipped my jacket in the lake water and started to beat out the flames. This wasn’t particularly effective as the jacket, made of synthetic fibres, just melted around the engine. However, this was enough to break the spell and some other tourists then joined in beating out the flames. The local Indian women then got out of the cabin and used their bowler hats (part of their traditional costume) to scoop water from the lake and thereby put out the fire. I’ve never felt safe on a boat in South America since.

Dublin to Rome: a 13 hour trip
* Checked in on AL at 12.30pm
* Advised there was a delay, but no info given by AL staff
* Texted friend in Italy who confirmed there was an air traffic control strike
* Took off 6.30pm
* About 50 mins later a smell of burning
* Emergency landing at Gatwick, luggage unpacked, no fire, no sign of any burning
* One Passenger insists on getting off - wait another 3 hrs to complete all paperwork. Passenger gets off.
* Another passenger wants to get off - is 'persuaded' in no uncertain terms to remain on board.
* Plane departs 11.30pm
* Plane arrives 3.30am (allowing for 1 hr time difference)
* AL staff make a speedy exit, no one wants to know or help passengers, no buses, people walking out to entrance of airport to ambush taxis.
* taxis charging passengers at least twice the price of usual fare.
* Called owner of apartment we had booked, he suggestged we sleep at airport, we said sorry, but not our fault and we have paid for accomodation, pls send a taxi. Owner sends a taxi - to the wrong airport.
* Finally get taxi to apartment, meet owner to get keys at 4.30am (apartment was beautifully decorated, but no air con and really noisy)
* transport strike continues for the weekend and we ride the buses and trains free - just like the locals.

I've had a few rotten journeys, you tend to when you dcide to drive across 2 continents, but that's how it is. But one from my brother is a gem and prime for a Britcom (I think my brother would like Guy Ritchie to do it).

Himself and his best friend decide to go for 2 weeks diving camp in the Philipines and even though there are problems before they leave (1 week gets cancelled and they are put onto some hotel in a shanty slum in Manila) they decide to go.

So, the night before they decide to get a little merry before flying to Paris and onwards. My brother (who's a very careful packer) is ready in advance and the day of doesn't know where his passport is, so he nabs our Dad's one (who has an anglicised fom of my bro's name) and makes for the flight. All is well and he gets to Paris (amazingly as they look nothing alike!). I arrive home for the holidays and all is well with the world.

Then we get a call from Paris, his friend. He's gotten through but my bro is arrested. My brother explains it like this - no, I'm really 55years old, honest, ah no, that picture was form when I had cancer, I looked older then, oh, okay. Can I be honest....I couldn't find my passport took Dad's and sure I'm only going on holidays.

At which point is is arrested, strip and body cavity searched and deported from France. But his frind is still there and has missed his flight in the hopes of finding out what's up with my bro. Brother arrives home and

At which point is is arrested, strip and body cavity searched and deported from France. But his frind is still there and has missed his flight in the hopes of finding out what's up with my bro. Brother arrives home and

Come on....the suspense is killing me!

Cairo - a couple of years ago, we had hired a driver to bring us around for the week. He was actually okay, however one day he couldn't make it so he sent another crazy sod in his place. This guy was laughing and jerking his head for no reason absolute odd ball. Traffic situation in Cairo is pretty awful anyway, no insurance no lights etc this guy started talking about how he could dodge cars i.e pull out right in front of them and keep going - so he did this for about twenty minutes in really heavy traffic. We were terrified, next minute the guy jumps from the car as its moving and runs along beside it, leaving us in the car while it was moving down a hill just looking at each other laughing and kissing our a**es goodbye!. He jumped in to the car when he could not longer keep up with it!.

Also, always remember journeys with my mam in her first car - a Renault five called Daphne. She used to make us say the Hail Mary as she drove up Knockmaroon Hill just in case! - used to be mortified because she say it when my friends were in the car :eek:

I think it's one of those games- you know where you fill in the next bit of the story and then the next person fills in the next bit and so on.

Okay, I'll go next:

' Brother arrives home and gets a text message from his friend that he is still in Paris- where is he? So he texts back his friend to meet him in Amsterdam instead, fearful that if he sets foot on French soil again the next cavity search will be much, much worse.

He finds his real passport this time and finds a fantastic bargain on a flight to Amsterdam. Even luckier, the seat next to his is soon filled with a buxom blond with no English and plenty of come-hither looks. After a brief tangle in the bathroom, the flight is already landing, and on arrival in customs he looks for his companion to at least try to get a phone number only to find the sniffer dogs glued to his back pocket and the blonde making a quick exit through the green channel...'

...try as he might those dogs really are glued on, it must be some sort of superduper customs and excise super glue, noticing the blonde disappearing into the distance, he thinks "feck it, she has seen it all in the bathroom already", discards his trousers (dogs and all) and with just his y fronts covering his bits races after the evil temptress..

Back