Worst DIY of previous owners

My first house had previously been rented to what I can only describe as some of the most inventive DIYers ever. the ceiling of my living room had those polestyrene tiles which had been painted black and red - they then decided to get creative and dipped a shoe in white paint and "walk" all over the tiles!!!! - each room had a different color radiator lime green, yellow etc, when stripping the wall paper in what appeared to be a rounded off alcove i discoverd that the rounding off had been done with newspapers, papier mache style. The bathroom was timber panelled and sound proofed with newpapers. in fact there were newpapers everywhere, behind wallpaper, under carpets and behind presses.

Not quite along the same vein, but still bad DIY!

First time I ever brought fiance home, he was all dressed up in his best suit for an interview and really nervous. My Dad, who shouldn't be (and isn't anymore) let near pipes of any description, was trying to nail down a loose floorboard upstairs and promptly put a nail right through the main water pipe. Boyfriend spend the entire night (about 2 and a half hours while we were waiting for the plumber) with his thumb on the hole, politely making small talk from his on-his-knees position on the manky old floor.

Meet The Parents or what?!?!

When renovating my old terraced house last year, we discovered that the exhaust pipe from the air extractor fan (above the cooker in our kitchen) wasn't connected to the outside of the house. Rather, it blew the aroma from our cooking through a hole in the wall into our neighbour's kitchen.

I didn't tell him we'd fixed it. I wonder if he misses the smell of curry!

Oh, and another story from that terraced house renovation - when we cut off the water to our extension at the back, in order to redo the pipes, the two neighbours to our left lost their water supply.

It turned out that the water to *their* extensions came through our kitchen. The builder was amazed - he'd never seen anything like it, and pointed out that if they'd sprung a leak while I was away on holiday, they'd have had a lot of difficulty switching off the water!

Back