World Trip - Which Credit Card to Use?

SkippyOD

Hey,

Off on a round the world trip in Sept for 9 months and was just wondering about the acceptance of either MasterCard or Visa when travelling; Is there one which is more acceptable for say S.America/Oz/Asia?

My other half is looking to change her MC to visa so that we have one of each so I'm just wondering what other peoples' experiences have been, what to expect, etc.

Visa all the way. I've never had it refused and have been to Sth America, Oz and Asia with it. I don't know that MC is as widely accepted.

Sprite

I've found Mastercard to be more widely accepted in Asia, particularly Malaysia, where it is the preferred card.

Haven't been to Malaysia, but Vietnam, Thailand, China, Singapore in Asia - we normally didn't put purchases on the CC but did withdraw money everywhere with Visa. Didn't see anyone with a MC but didn't hear of any particular problems while there. It can be handy to have two credit cards though - I always travel with two - one with my normal limit and one other with a smaller limit in case (as happened) the other one is stolen.

Sprite

Hey SkippyOD,

i have travelled south america with visa and found it more widely accepted than mastercard. in fact i had a mastercard but then changed over before i went to SA. argentina mostly is where i used it. in places like bolivia/peru its just as handy to take money out of the ATM and keep it with you. ATM's are widely available in most big cities and town in Bolivia/Peru so top up when necessary. dont leave all your cash in place though when travelling cos if its gone and you are in the smallest town with no atm then you are stuck.

hope this helps and good luck with the travels you'll have a wonderful time. wish i was heading out on the road again for a few months.

burger1979

I found in South America I needed both as it seemed to change country to country which would be accepted .BOI issue both Visa and MC on the same account (or at least did for me)

Back