Working in Kenya.....

flossie

Hi everyone,

I have been offered a chance to do some work in Kenya for a few weeks, possibly tied in with Jo'burg and Tanzania. Anybody got experience of this? Looks like it would be in the Kericho district, an internal flight from Nairobi.

Main things are:
  • Should i be worried about internal flights? (have heard that some African airlines not allowed into EU airspace due to safety records)
  • Any security issues? I am 28 year old female, travelling alone. Client *should* arrange some things for me, but any major things to be looking for?
  • Spare time - must sees? Looks like it is fairly close to Lake Victoria....will have a few days to myself, and not sure whether to spend these in Nairobi or the highlands.
Hoping you can shed some light, otherwise i'm crossing all possible limbs/digits that the visit will come through!!!!:D

Don't do it, unless everything is arranged properly by the client.
Talk to the embassy about security concerns; they should be able to advise you on where not to go.

So far as Jo'burg is concerned, I would keep well clear; I worked in Swaziland for five years and the nearest I got to Jo'burg was the Eastgate shopping centre. Jo'burg city centre was just too dangerous.

On the internal flights safety point of view ... yes this is a consideration ... however remember that the roads in most African countries are pretty unsafe too .. so by comparison with awfully frequent bus accidents the plane would always be a pretty good option

The main airline Kenya Airways is professionally run and has modern aircraft .. in my view I wouldn't hesitate to use them ... I'd be perhaps a bit wary of some other airlines and given the choice use Kenya Airways , but I'd be more wary of most bus companies !

Thanks for the responses.

Bill, the work wouldn't be in the main centre of Jo'burg, i would be travelling to client locations so in the main industrial areas (exact locations not confirmed yet). But i shall bear this in mind.

EvilDoctorK - fair point about the roads! Will look to ensure i use main airline if the client isn't providing personal transportation.

Regarding airline safety, do Ethiopian Airlines operate on any of the routes that you may be flying? They are one of Africa's biggest airlines, and are one of the few to be deemed safe enough to be allowed fly into US and European air space and airports. I flew with them (Washington, DC/Rome/Addis Ababa) and had no complaints.

Regarding airline safety, do Ethiopian Airlines operate on any of the routes that you may be flying? They are one of Africa's biggest airlines, and are one of the few to be deemed safe enough to be allowed fly into US and European air space and airports. I flew with them (Washington, DC/Rome/Addis Ababa) and had no complaints.

I was going to be doing Virgin to Nairobi, then local flight. Just searching it seems some of the 'big' airlines, Quatar, Emirate, Malaysian etc. fly there....might be worth re-routing via Doha or somewhere to fly there direct.

Hi Flossie, Where is "there" that you're looking at with these direct flights ?

I don't think you're going to get an airport with major international airlines servicing it much closer to where you're going than Nairobi (Kericho district - looks to be in the Rift Valley about 150 miles from Nairobi ... so it's probably a drive rather than a flight from Nairobi?)

Routing via Doha or Dubai would add considerable journey time ... London - Nairobi is not that long a flight - 8ish hours ... going via the Gulf would pretty much double the journey time.

Back