Working Hours-staying late

dx22

This is a question from a small employer-Can i insist that a member of staff stay beyond their normal working hours to say finish cash-up, if it has been done incorrectly by them (and there is cash unaccounted for)?

What does the contract of employment say about working hours and such situations?

Thanks for quick reply! Firstly cash is unaccounted for thats how i know the cash-up is incorrect,if ya know what i mean
Secondly,their contract just has working hours stated and daily cash-up is mentioned in the job description, and thats about it,there is not absolutes about leaving before the jobs is done etc!
(Also there is never money missing its just not tallied correctly etc luckily i have honest employees!)

I would think you are well within your rights to insist that the cash up be completed, and equally if it often happens that this results in an employee having to stay longer than the hours they are paid to work, you should have a facility to pay them back those hours.
If an employee is paid by the hour, and because the business is busy or whatever, this results in them being a half and hour late leaving,for example, surely they should either be paid or given time in lieu for this.
Why should they be expected to do unpaid work?
Some employers would allow the cash up to be included in the employees hours but equally some expect the employee to do this in their own time which can be unfair. Being fair on both sides is the answer here.

I don't understand:
Firstly cash is unaccounted for thats how i know the cash-up is incorrect,if ya know what i mean

(Also there is never money missing its just not tallied correctly etc luckily i have honest employees!)
Secondly,their contract just has working hours stated and daily cash-up is mentioned in the job description, and thats about it,there is not absolutes about leaving before the jobs is done etc!
I don't think that you can legally insist that they stay beyond the hours mentioned in the contract.

Thanks Brianne thats a very good answer!

Confusion over explaining cash probably my fault
The cash-up can be obviously incorrect without detailed investigation in many ways.For example if you have a credit card terminal and batch it (add it up at end of day) it may say that e.g. you took 1000 euros in credit card sales, but your computer software/till says otherwise.Or they may balance, but you are 50 euros over/or 200 under or whatever.The same goes for cheques,cash,gift vouchers,refunds .The offending transaction(s) has to be hunted down and put right
Its usually happens because someone enters a cheque as a cash sale or laser or something like that!

When I worked in a bank in the mid '90's we weren't allowed home until we had balanced correctly. We couldn't claim overtime for any time spent balancing up.

dx22,

Suppose is a situation of "distribution of fault".

If you feel all systems are in place to enable employee to perform task within working hours, thats fine.

If unreasonable time line for job, systems faulty, training ....

If this comes down to contractual situation in a small business environment, maybe you need to look at how you communicate with staff, and their readiness to take on-board what is a serious situation.

Dx22, I'd agree with Crumdub - Are they given sufficient time, appropriate resources, etc..

However, you seem to be jumping at the answers that you want to hear! You've said that you have honest staff to you seem to trust - ask them what needs to be done for them to be able to do it in the time/with resources available to them.

I'd agree too that I don't think you can just change their contract if you have working ours, without a provision that they may need to stay on to complete tasks, etc... Even if it did say it, sometimes precedence can go against you.

I agree that you need to look at why there is continual mistakes - is it because the current system is confusing for some people/not clear enough/not got enough safe guards?

I have worked in many retail areas in my time - in some places it was so easy to cash up, because the system was fool proof, and if a mistake was made then it was easy to source. In other plces it has been hit and miss, and just down to the ability of the employee - as a result, because I was good at it I ended up doing it most nights!

You may need to look at the expectations you are placing on the staff and give training if needed. If you feel that there is really no excuse for this, then retraining is necessary. after that you are then in a position to look at changing the contract or moving them. Are they in any probationary period, or up for review?

what about a compromise - if the staff member has done everything they should have, int he manner they should have, and there is a descrepancy which is not necessarily of their doing, is there any way to sort it in the morning (maybe open another till if possible?) is it really so busy first thing that you could not leave it til the morning to sort it out? I think often when employees are headed for the door, you are wasting your time trying to get them to focus on rectifiying a mistake.

Or as someone else suggested, tell them you will need them to stay back to resolve the issues, but that this time will be given back to them - but I would give it as an extra break or longer lunch the next day - not as time off, because then they may use this to their advantage, stay late often, just to get a few hours extra holiday!

Back