Working holiday for 2 months in Europe

Firefly

Hi,

Myself & herself are thinking about an extended holiday with the teenagers in Europe for the summer after next. Herself can take unpaid leave and I will work for half of the time (week on/week off). We would like a house with a pool & somewhere with good weather. Somewhere with food markets would be great. Also somewhere where we could take off at weekends and visit nice towns/cities. Budget would be about 2,500 per month to rent.

Any suggestions?

Firefly.

Just half thinking about rental figures for 8/9 weeks of high season in resorts. I think you're generous paying €2500.00 per month in rental even if electricity, water, internet, local taxes, refuse etc are included.* You should have no problem securing accommodation provided it is in one location. Your main costs after rent likely will be travelling back and forth between your holiday location and Ireland and food.

You should have no problem with food markets. The heat of August is OK for a 2 week stay, but over weeks the heat and humidity can be overwhelming.

*I don't know if you are looking for accommodation in a villa (own swimming pool) or a 2 bedroom apartment (shared swimming pool).

I can see pitfalls, but I'm not a killjoy.

Just half thinking about rental figures for 8/9 weeks of high season in resorts. I think you're generous paying €2500.00 per month in rental even if electricity, water, internet, local taxes, refuse etc are included.* You should have no problem securing accommodation provided it is in one location. Your main costs after rent likely will be travelling back and forth between your holiday location and Ireland and food.

You should have no problem with food markets. The heat of August is OK for a 2 week stay, but over weeks the heat and humidity can be overwhelming.

*I don't know if you are looking for accommodation in a villa (own swimming pool) or a 2 bedroom apartment (shared swimming pool).

I can see pitfalls, but I'm not a killjoy.
Thanks Lep. I would be working remotely so wouldn't need to come back to Ireland for the duration. I'd prefer a villa with a private pool. Any interesing locations you would recommend? Tks

We would like a house with a pool & somewhere with good weather.
There are large parts of southern France which are largely empty, not too expensive, and 2 to 3 hours from bigger cities.

The trade-off is that there will not be very much of interest in the immediate vicinity.

Another similar option is eastern Spain away from the coast.

I would find somewhere your teenagers can get themselves around without an adult, so not a remote villa only accessible by car. They might be keen to meet other people, so maybe somewhere relatively touristy so they can meet other teens? Are they into watersports, could they sign up to surf, sailing lessons, activity camps where they can take language lessons etc? If so, aim for a coastal location eg Portugal, Tarragona in Spain, south west of France. Look at ferries to Bilbao rather than flying as you will have your car and fit all your stuff. 2.5k is not a massive budget for a lot of short term lets places during July/Aug though June might be cheaper if no state exams. Look at Airbnb to get a gauge for a few areas. Also consider you might want to move around a couple of times as one location might get a bit samey for the folks not working for two months.

a
Thanks Lep. I would be working remotely so wouldn't need to come back to Ireland for the duration. I'd prefer a villa with a private pool. Any interesing locations you would recommend? Tks

You're taking on a huge undertaking especially with teenagers and high season. I'm nearly afraid to suggest locations as I'm a guy who tells the whole truth no matter how bitter always. But, have a look at some of my previous posts regarding renting long term in sunnier climes (off season). The "rules" would probably be the same for high season.

Hi,

Myself & herself are thinking about an extended holiday with the teenagers in Europe for the summer after next. Herself can take unpaid leave and I will work for half of the time (week on/week off). We would like a house with a pool & somewhere with good weather. Somewhere with food markets would be great. Also somewhere where we could take off at weekends and visit nice towns/cities. Budget would be about 2,500 per month to rent.

Any suggestions?

Firefly.
2500 for a month in June should be easy in touristic areas. But the budget would be too low for July and August in most areas in France. I travel regularly there in August and my budget is €800 to 1200 a week. June is totally different and you can easily enough find something for €500 per week.
In terms of teenagers, I spent 4 weeks on my own in June with 2 teenagers this year on a quiet campsite in France. I would say it depends on the teenagers. Mine had no issues although our location was quiet with no other young people their age (that's the risk in June). They just got into a routine (sport, swimming, a bit of going around, shopping...) They just told me it was like at home but easier as the weather was great. I was really concerned about how we would manage...

Last edited:
Difficult question to answer where myself and Mrs C are fairly in tune with regards to what we want from a holiday, adding two teenagers to the equation I'm guessing is a little bit more challenging. However if you're thinking of Spain, then Malaga and Alicante would be good starting point if you're thinking about exploring the surrounding areas

From Malaga which in it's self is a good city to explore you've Granada with it's Alhambra but must be booked well in advance of travel
Then a trip to Cordoba and it's synagogue as well as Seville and Cadiz and then while in the area at trip to little Britain, Gibraltar should keep you fairly busy for the time your there

Alicante gives you access to two big cities Valencia and Murcia and the coast line that full of holiday resorts like Benidorm where my parents generation used to holiday

A few thoughts off the top of my head
I'd say you'd need to get your skates on with regards to booking this as leaving it till Feb or March of next year would definitely see the cost going up as the availability of suitable properties diminishes
If broadband is something you all require make sure you ask about this a lot of properties advertise it as included but it could be a very basic 10mbs service which might not be suitable if you're all online line at the same time
The weather, not to bang on about climate change and all that but Leper above makes a very valid point about it, European summers are getting hotter and hotter each year and while its fine for a week or two, living in extreme heat for 4 or even 6 weeks could be very uncomfortable for all especially as you wouldn't be accustomed to it and even then any of the friends I talk to that live over there say it's unbearable at times

Back