Working from Ireland for a UK company

Kemo_Sabe

I have been offered some work as follows:

I am based in Ireland but would work for a UK company for a fixed term (most likely 12 months). Most of this work can be done remotely so the likelihood is that I would be in the UK for no more than approximately 6 days per month. During this 12 months, I would be working solely and exclusively for this UK company (project type work).

What is the best way for me to go about this from a tax perspective? Do I need to become an employee of the UK company? Can I contract to them instead?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Sounds weird. The company has offered you work, but not made it clear whether you'd be an employee or a contractor?

Is the company happy to have you as either an employee?, or as a contractor?

I'd have thought that what the company wants would have some relevance. I'd also have thought that there's quite a bit of difference between the options... between accounting for taxes and your social welfare entitlements and other stuff too. If working as a contractor your hourly or daily rate would be significantly higher than your apparent wages as an employee.

In Ireland companies can't simply choose whether staff are employees or contractors... some supposed contractors can be ruled to be employees by Revenue, due to the nature of the work and the arrangements. Would the company dictate your working hours?, if so you're an employee.

Sounds weird. The company has offered you work, but not made it clear whether you'd be an employee or a contractor?

Is the company happy to have you as either an employee?, or as a contractor?

yes, either would be fine with both parties (within reason and assuming no drastic tax implications on either side).

I will be an employee of theirs in Ireland until their Irish operation closes later this year, hence this is not a 'new employee' type situation and both sides are open to discussion.

I'd have thought that what the company wants would have some relevance. I'd also have thought that there's quite a bit of difference between the options... between accounting for taxes and your social welfare entitlements and other stuff too. If working as a contractor your hourly or daily rate would be significantly higher than your apparent wages as an employee.

In Ireland companies can't simply choose whether staff are employees or contractors... some supposed contractors can be ruled to be employees by Revenue, due to the nature of the work and the arrangements. Would the company dictate your working hours?, if so you're an employee.

this is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to find out!

if the rules say I'm an employee, then so be it.

Back