Working adhoc days in the week - when to go to SW office?

musicfan

Hypothetical situation (for the moment anyway),

Currently have a full time job but if it comes to the stage that some weeks are a bit slow and I'm not working the full week - how does this work and what Social Welfare entitlements would I be able to claim.

If I end up working 4 days in a week, I am not entitled to make any claim - is this correct?

If i only end up working 2 or 3 days a week, can I claim for the other days?

If they are ad-hoc days that I end up working (not a set Monday - Wednesday for example), should I be going to the social welfare office on the first day that I am not working. If so, say Im not working Monday and go into the SW office, but If I'm back in Work on Tuesday and Wednesday do I need to go back to the SW office on the Thursday? I would not know at the beginning of the week what days I am working - would only get a call the night before to let me know if there is work tomorrow.

If I don't work the Monday and go to the SW office and then end up working the rest of the week, what happens then?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Firstly, go to the sw on the first day that you are off armed with your letter from employer, id etc... as you are not paid for the first 3 days on sw. Each week you will receive a slip from sw which your employer fills in the days your were working/not working etc and you get paid from sw on that system.

Some of the guys that i work with are in the same situation as you and as you say only know the night before (even sometimes on the morning that they are not working) depending on the weather.

The most important thing is to have that form back in your local sw office (freepost) at the latest for friday morning as seemingly they will not pay out unless the claim is totally up to date (back money even gets held up) and entered on their computer for the cheque run on a friday morning.

Good Luck and hopefully you will not end up having to claim at all as your hours will be still five days.

Thanks for the reply.

So say for example next week I'm not working Tuesday, when I know I'm not working I should go in to the SW office with a letter from my employer stating I am working ad hoc days?? I end up working only Wednesdy of that week - so on the Friday I should go to the SW office with the form filled out from my Employer saying I only worked Wednesday? But what happens if I don't know until the Friday morning that I'm not working that day? The employer won't be able to fill out the form.

Likewise, what would happen if I do end up working the Friday (but don't know this until the Friday morning, I won't be able to get the form down to the SW until the following week?

Thanks

The last day of the week for SW is Wednesday, so get your form stamped by employer on a wed and in the post (mark envelope freepost)that evening so that they have it for a friday

Two points: The weekly 'docket' must reach SW in time for input to computer by close of business Thurs evening (4.00 PM). The 'cheque run', as one poster called it, is done overnight Thursdays.
The second point is that the calculation as to whether a person gets paid for '2 days work in 6' is worked by counting days of unemployemnt back six and forward six to see if there are three effective unem. days in 6.
Therefore it's important to send in 'dockets' for every week, even if you're only claiming one or two days in that week as it might be an 'effective' day when they calculate forward on the following week. (if that makes sense!).

Back