Wording of a wedding invitation

John Rambo

Hi folks...

I'm just trying to finalise the wording of a wedding invitation and the wording suggested by the supplier sounds a little cumbersome in my view. It's a "request the pleasure of the company of X at the church and afterwards at the reception at..." wording.

I think "at the reception at" sounds messy and think "for the reception at" sounds better (less repetitive).

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the subject?

Many thanks.

I wish someone would get away from the very formal invitation wording and send out a nice friendly casual invitation. Something like "We are getting married on Thursday, January 25, 2009 and would love to have you and John join us to celebrate this wonderful occasion. The wedding will be in .......... at.......and the party will be in the .......Hotel. Looking forward to your company. Mary Murphy and John Smith". I have been married for more than 30 years and if I were getting married again (which is not very likely) I would go down that road.

I'd second the less formal invite.

If you are sticking with the formal, how about leaving out the words "the reception at...", so it reads...

"request the pleasure of the company of X at St Mary's Church and afterwards at the Gresham Hotel"

The invitees will know why they're going to the Gresham!

Best of luck!

I wish someone would get away from the very formal invitation wording and send out a nice friendly casual invitation. Something like "We are getting married on Thursday, January 25, 2009 and would love to have you and John join us to celebrate this wonderful occasion. The wedding will be in .......... at.......and the party will be in the .......Hotel. Looking forward to your company. Mary Murphy and John Smith". I have been married for more than 30 years and if I were getting married again (which is not very likely) I would go down that road.

Very good idea, Coquito. A lot of people look back on their wedding day and wish they'd been slightly more individualistic in a number of areas.

To move slightly off point, I've always wanted to send this message to some couple I knew reasonably well who were getting married:-

All the best to you both on your special day. I'd love to be with ye but I can't because ye didn't invite me!

Hopefully, John Rambo, I won't have to do it to you. ;)

Whether you invite me or not, I hope all goes well for you both. :)

What about

"request the pleasure of the company of X at the church and afterwards for a reception at..."

put on what you want be it formal or not....

To move slightly off point, I've always wanted to send this message to some couple I knew reasonably well who were getting married:-

All the best to you both on your special day. I'd love to be with ye but I can't because ye didn't invite me!
:D

I would have liked to have sent the following to a bride to be (sorry the couple):

Thanks for the invite but seeing as I hardly know you both and am not a fan of eating my dinner with 300 people I'll give it a miss.

Hope the day goes well,
Best
Becky

Obvioulsy I would give €100 as well.

Just say that you are tying the knot, want you to be there and don't forget the cash price is around €200 to €250 for a pressie. Invite 300 and you have half a house in the country bought. Happy days.

Dear Becky,
Thanks for your best wishes. We weren't expecting a gift from no-shows, but it is much appreciated and will be donated to a good cause. Actually, we were only inviting ye because Da Mammy threw a tantrum and insisted that all the cousins and neighbours had to get invites.
Have a fun and stress-free weekend.
Autumn

Dear Lex,
Would have loved to invite ye. However, Da Mammy had filled up the guest list with so many cousins and neighbours that we were never going to afford it or find a venue big enough. So in the end we gave up and buggered off to Rome to get hitched. If you see Da Mammy, she will probably tell/rant all about it and her big day ruined.
See ya at the pub when we get back,
Autumn

Back